Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Any recommendations for Dumas besides usual 3 Musketeers?

Drink up me heaties yo ho
    Wauw that sounds cool....

I have greatly enjoyed "the Fortyfive Guardsmen" it is in Dumas' usual writing style. Few charectors in the light of a scene, just enough discription of the environment to allow your imagination to create and entire stage set. Well worth the time. It is very similar to the three m in many ways but the attention is more to the Kings (Henry III, Philip and William)and Duchesses than the indivitual guardsmen. Classic Gascon bravado and “Amour” great fights and then there is a fantastic battle with Philip of France, the Calvinists, Hugonauts, Leagers during which he attempt to....... well you should read it for yourself.

May the Lord bless you and your household.
    John
    www.johnsebooks.com
    Last edited by joparo; 09-04-2006 at 11:37 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Darlin View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has read any books by Dumas besides the Three Musketeers series, the Black Tulip and The Count of Monte Cristo. I found my local library has a whole slew of his books, some of them falling apart but quite readable and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations.
    Definitely the Count of Monte Cristo, it's to die for. I haven't read the Black Tulip yet, but it will definitely be next on my list. <3

Ever since reading Monte Cristo I haven't been able to put down Dumas' books, though I haven't found one to rival my obsession over the count yet. He is simply god <3

Hey! I am delighted to find more Dumas readers. Most folks think I'm off my head getting all excited about some ancient swashbucklers. And that list - I had no idea there were so many available in translation.

If you are interested in that whole crazy period, I just finished "The Memoirs of the Countesse de Boigne". She was a child in the palace with Marie-Antoinette, lived through two revolutions and the empire of Napoleon and died after the expulsion of Charles X. She's a snobby and catty and repeats gossip - love it!

Schoolmeister - I agree that Arturo Perez Reverte is wonderful. I think you would enjoy Carlos Ruiz Zafon's "The Shadow of the Wind".

Broken_Vow on poto.com Wandering_Child's Avatar
    Someone has probably mentioned this before (and I don't have time to read all seven pages of posts), but Dumas wrote a book called Camille. I tried to read it, but found myself losing interest in the first few pages. I believe it was one of his earlier books, and definately not one of his best. But I just had to mention it really quickly.

I have read The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm planning to read the rest of his works as soon as I read some of Charles Dickens. Also, The Knight of Maison-Rouge is one of my absolute favorite books of all time!

New Fan!

see message below, i screwed up.
    this can be deleted if necessary
    Last edited by yelly201; 05-24-2007 at 10:03 PM.

I'll admit, i had never considered reading the count of monte cristo before, solely because it was too long. But, for an english project, i was browsing a list of authors that i got from a reccomendation list and saw that the book was on it. for this project, i only had to read 600 pages and since the count of monte cristo was 2 times this long, i didn't end up reading it. however, i did choose to read the knight of maison rouge, and castle eppstein. wow, was i surprised at my reaction! the characters are interesting, and the way in which he presents his story is intriguing; i've never seen an author refer to him/herself in the first person in a book before! my favorite book was maison rouge, because there was more dialog and interaction between the characters. also, in castle eppstein, everard is very introverted and fickle concerning what he wants.
    Genevive and Albina are my favorite characters. for the project i have to dress up as one of them, and i need an opinion: to whom should i give the honor? I have to give a hypothetical award to the character, and present an acceptance speech in the form and voice of the character? i'm not sure which would be the most interesting. any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Child View Post
    Someone has probably mentioned this before (and I don't have time to read all seven pages of posts), but Dumas wrote a book called Camille. I tried to read it, but found myself losing interest in the first few pages. I believe it was one of his earlier books, and definately not one of his best. But I just had to mention it really quickly.
    by the way, wandering child, i was reading page one of the thread and realized that someone had mentioned that Camille was by Dumas fils, not Dumas père. just wanted to let you know.

Blog Entries
    "Camille" was written by Alexandre Dumas, the son of Alexandre Dumas, the great author of "The Count of Monte Cristo", "The Three Muskateers", etc.

I just finished reading "Camille". I enjoyed it. It is a very melodramatic work but well worth reading. I was interested in this short novel, basically because I had seen a wonderful ballet based upon this book, called "Lady of the Camillias". The famous opera by Verdi - La Traviota was also based on this work. It was a stage play, as well. Mostly, the younger Dumas made a career for the stage and wrote many plays. I just read his biography on Wikipedia; it was quite interesting.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Georges!

I have just read an amazing, unknown work by Dumas. It is called Georges! It is a very short piece written one year before the THree musketeers and The Comte de Monte Cristo. Even for those of you who may not be enthralled with Dumas, you will love this book. I could not put it down. It is full of the drama, romance, suspence and action he is known for and is his only work about race.
    If you want to be transported, read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Georges!

I have just read an amazing, unknown work by Dumas. It is called Georges! It is a very short piece written one year before the THree musketeers and The Comte de Monte Cristo. Even for those of you who may not be enthralled with Dumas, you will love this book. I could not put it down. It is full of the drama, romance, suspence and action he is known for and is his only work about race.
    If you want to be transported, read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567