Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: Who will be victorious?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rowling

2 10.00%
  • Pratchett

9 45.00%
  • Sport

2 10.00%
  • J. R. R. Tolkien :P

7 35.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celebrity Deathmatch: Rowling vs Pratchett

Blog Entries

Celebrity Deathmatch: Rowling vs Pratchett

Pterry takes a swipe at Rowling

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Pratchett takes swipe at Rowling

Writer Terry Pratchett has poked fun at Harry Potter author JK Rowling for saying she did not realise she was writing a fantasy novel.

He wrote to the Sunday Times:"I would have thought that the wizards, witches, trolls, unicorns, hidden worlds... would have given her a clue?"

Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince has been a runaway bestseller in the UK and US since its release on 16 July.

Pratchett is one of the UK's most successful novelists.

His comments came on Rowling's 40th birthday, also Harry Potter's birthday.

In a recent interview with Time magazine, Rowling said she was "not a huge fan of fantasy" and was trying to "subvert" the genre.

The magazine also said Rowling reinvented fantasy fiction, which was previously stuck in "an idealised, romanticised, pseudofeudal world, where knights and ladies morris-dance to Greensleeves".

Pratchett, whose first fantasy novel was published 34 years ago and has since sold more than 40 million books, said in his letter that the genre had always been "edgy and inventive".

"Ever since The Lord of the Rings revitalised the genre, writers have played with it, reinvented it, subverted it and bent it to their times," he wrote.

"It has also contained come of the very best, most accessible writing for children, by writers who seldom get the acknowledgement they deserve."

His full response to Rowling's admission that she did not think Harry Potter was fantasy as she was writing it, was:

"I would have thought that the wizards, witches, trolls, unicorns, hidden worlds, jumping chocolate frogs, owl mail, magic food, ghosts, broomsticks and spells would have given her a clue?"

Meanwhile, Rowling celebrated her 40th birthday on Sunday, the day she has also made her young creation's birthday.

The author's website displayed pictures of a birthday cake and birthday card with the words: "Happy birthday Harry Potter."

Fans have been trying to deduce how old he is, with one site saying the boy wizard has now turned 25.
    May the fans continue the fight now.
    If you believe even a half of this post, you are severely mistaken.

Blog Entries
    I prefer pratchet, because the discworld series is funny as hell.
    There is no darkness, there is no light, there is only Lasagne!

Pratchett will always be the funniest of the three, Tolkien, the best writer. I guess that doesn't leave much for Rowling, heh.

Blog Entries
    Pratchett by far, his books are great.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

I know very little about J.K. Rowling and Terry Pratchett, yet cannot quite call myself a fan of J.R.R. Tolkein, and I do not quite know what 'Sport' means on the poll . . . well, I once read some passages from one of Pratchett's books, and he got a few laughs out of me, so that sounds best.

Blog Entries
    We have probably made a mistake and direct-translated an expression.
    The expression "sport is the winner" is used (in estonian, at least), when athletes honour each other, there is fair play, taking part is more important than winning and so on.

Well, if Rowling did say that thing about not liking fantasy, then Pratchett's critic is very accurate, their litarary capacities or the taste of their fans play no role in this matter.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

While Rowling has a gift for selling books, I view her writing to be quite juvenille when compared with the likes of Pratchett (very humorous) and Tolkien (epic). That isn't to say that I don't read Harry Potter, but my vote goes to the other guys on this one.
    Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever...

Blog Entries
    We hope that everyone understands that this topic is a joke. (the image of Pratchett, little and evil, hurling his fists seems very amusing to us).
    Also it seems to us, that some people didn't notice that Tolkien wasn't even mentioned in the article and that he was a total red herring who doesn't even participate in the fight.

loquacious cat mrawr
    Live Pratchett! And grand salutations to the likes of discworld, may they live on to the glory days!

Blog Entries
    I am happy to inform that I have not up till now, and never will, read a book by JK Rowling, so will refrain from voting.
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    ◕‿◕ currently reading Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark, Bill Dedman (2013)

"the dogs bark but the caravan moves on" --Arab proverb

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Prattchett!! I've made my lips bleed from biting them to stop laughing reading his books and plus they are just fantastic!!!
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

It was supposed to be a fight, right? I am a Pratchett fan too and apparently there is no point in saying that he is one of the best fantasy writers ever (I mean the funniest and easiest to read).
    I see there aren't many JK Rowling fans around here... may be you'll have to let children below 13 to enter the forum :P Until you do, nothing like a fight will happen in this thread.

Pratchett, in my opinion, seems bitter but he shouldn't be as his books are just as crap as hers.

Ensign Ryoku is DANGEROUS TygerTrust's Avatar
    I currently live just outside Tokyo, the place is irrelevant because everyone just replies "Where?!?"
    I've read all the Potter books, and while I fly through them and they hold my attention, they are honestly nothing I write home about. On the other hand, the entire Discworld series (which was difficult to track down here until I started selling my first born children to Amazon.co.jp) was amazing. I regret not reading it when I was younger, and in all honesty I'm glad I read it when I was older and could comprehend more of the jokes. The levels of humour are so much more... diverse. I consider Pratchett a master in the field, and JK Rowling is an up-and-coming talent. My money is on Pratchett any day!
    This is day one of year one of the new epoch, -- the Epoch of the Invisible Man. I am Invisible Man the First.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast