Thread: Art and Wit are Subversive of Civilization; in a ‘Playful Way’

Art and Wit are Subversive of Civilization; in a ‘Playful Way’

Art and Wit are Subversive of Civilization; in a ‘Playful Way’

The repressions of modern life have lost for us the “primary pleasures of which the censorship disapproves”. Art and wit liberates repressed instinct; both rid us of our inhibitions and open the unconscious for inspection and pleasure. Art and wit are avenues for play.

Art and wit battle against repressive reason and the reality-principle in an effort to regain lost liberties. A special pleasure in wit is derived from an “economy in the expenditure of inhibitions or suppressions”.

Modern life causes us to constantly expend psychic energy in order to repress fundamental desires; in overcoming these repressions and activating the playful primary process both art and wit allow us to divert that energy toward other ends.

Group psychology inclines us to develop subversive groups which become authoritarian ideologies whereas art and wit incline us to form subversive groups which can communicate to third parties and therefore not become authoritarian but inclusive and democratic. “In contrast with the repressive structure of the authoritarian group, the aim of the partnership between artist and an audience is instinctual liberation.”

One result of our successful technology is human longevity. We continue to extend life and often prolong a period of slow and expensive dying. I am 76 and therefore consider myself to be allowed to speak about such things as cessation of this madness of an ever expanding old age. It is time to seriously discuss the fact that we cannot continue with the foolish process that results in an ever expanding population that includes an ever expanding percentage of old folks dying slower and slower.

Quotes from Life against Death: The Psychoanalytic Meaning of History by Norman O. Brown

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    Modern life causes us to constantly expend psychic energy in order to repress fundamental desires; in overcoming these repressions and activating the playful primary process both art and wit allow us to divert that energy toward other ends.
    I agree with this sentiment, if not what would be the purpose of life? I think you would enjoy the Personal Poetry section, and even more so I believe you are able to create excellent Prose of your own.

I suppose I am lucky to have made the correct decisions in choosing excellent Investment Advisors and Brokers to look after my affairs from an early age, but still, the world is our playground so I will explore more. An attorney friend gave me a good idea, learn to trade online. In training you begin with fictitious funds to buy and sell, for as long as you wish.

These days with computers you can make money online if you learn when to sell [most importantly]. In fact I think its so cool these days, based on decades of investment data, computer programs are able to guide one accurately when its best to buy and sell. I believe if one follows the parameters provided by sites like this [below] you will make money, not necessarily large sums but its best to not be greedy and remain conservative in buying, and of course the key... know when to sell.

For the time being I procrastinate, but here is a link you might want to explore.. who knows what doors will open if you try. There is no risk while playing with fictitious funds anyhoo. Perhaps you will become a pro.

This is a small site, with a $500 kitty [I think or perhaps $5000], there are other websites offering larger kitty's in training. My attorney said its best, for me, to start small. Just thought I would share it with you. As you say with prolonged life to look forward to its important to stay on top. If nothing else sites like this can provide no risk entertainment with a difference.

http://www.babypips.com/

Last edited by dizzydoll; 05-05-2010 at 05:43 AM.

dizzydoll

I am more interested in intrinsic value than extrinsic value.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No problem, I suppose my comment would've fit better on your: Cost of staying alive thread.

After all, as they say... there is always more than one way to skin a cat. [dreadful analogy, but I dont have better up my sleeve]. In life we can focus on the problems or solutions to our problems.. the choice is ours.

No amount of education will help those who cannot make ends meet in old age and when I look at MANY unsophisticated people in the world, like Richard Branson who suffered from dyslexia, he built a SIX BILLION DOLLAR HOME BASED BUSINESS. For me, its not even the money that makes him stand out... its the amount of people he has created employment for that impresses me the most.

And believe me, he is not the only one. I admire people like him, such an inspiration. One can only wonder why people like him were born, any ideas?
    Last edited by dizzydoll; 05-06-2010 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzydoll View Post

And believe me, he is not the only one. I admire people like him, such an inspiration. One can only wonder why people like him were born, any ideas?

Self-esteem is a human need, as Maslow informs us. Unfortunately in the United States with its anti-intellectualism and love of money makes public heroes of moneyed people rather than intellectually sophisticated people. More thus seek self-esteem via extrinsic rather than intrinsic values.

I think that our big problem is our focus upon our self as an individual with little or no focus upon morality in its broadest scope, i.e. we focus upon our own well-being with little concern for the well-being of those outside of a very limited circle.

Morality has been a domain of knowledge left in the hands of religion and thus the concentration has been primarily toward a child's concept of morality, i.e. concentration of a very personal one-on-one morality.

A philosophy of individualism has been accentuated both by capitalism and Christianity.

repressed instinct
    Humans do not have instincts.
    repressive reason
    Ugh. Just, ugh.
    psychic energy
    What?
    Self-esteem is a human need, as Maslow informs us.
    As Maslow, theorizes.
    United States with its anti-intellectualism and love of money makes public heroes of moneyed people rather than intellectually sophisticated people. More thus seek self-esteem via extrinsic rather than intrinsic values.
    Now I'm not entirely sure that the US is anti-intellectual but we sure do love money. Besides that though how do you expect anyone to promote intrinsic motivation. You, the individual, places intrinsic value on goals, achievements etc.. So it is a bit unfair of you to blaim the group for not having enough intrinsically motivated individuals within it, because the group does not decide who is intrinsically motivated.
    I think that our big problem is our focus upon our self as an individual with little or no focus upon morality in its broadest scope, i.e. we focus upon our own well-being with little concern for the well-being of those outside of a very limited circle.
    Though, I do agree with you to a point; once you get outside of that group, morality becomes very tricky and hypocrisy usually ensues.
    Nothing, nothing is certain, except the insignificance of everything I can comprehend and the grandeur of something incomprehensible but most important" -Andrei Bolkonsky
    "But, I didn't do anything"- Professor Lawrence Gopnik
    "Cat in the wall, eh? Okay, now you're talking my language. I know this game." -Charlie Kelly

Baudelaire suggests that the concept of Comedy has its origins in the original Fall of Man.