Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Future Classics?

Future Classics?

What modern novels do you think will be considered classics in the future?Two books I enjoyed that I think will become classics are The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver and The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom. A few that I hope will become classics, but probably won't, are I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb, Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve, and The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant. What do you guys think of those selections, and what are some of your picks?

Strangely, I have contemplated the same question. I have never thought of Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible and Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet In Heaven, but I can easily see what you mean.
    Others, perhaps:
    anything by Arthur Miller, Hunter S. Thompson, Jean-Paul Sartre (including his fiction), Life of Pi by Yann Martel, Harry Potter Series (for better or worse) by J.K. Rowling, The Celestine Prophecy Series by James Redfield, The DaVinci Code (again, for better or worse) by Dan Brown, and Reading Lolita In Tehran by Azar Nafisi.
    Only these come to my mind presently, but I might add more later.
    Thanks for the interesting thread.

I don't know if many people will agree with me on this, but personally I see many of Gregory MaGuire's novels becoming classics. Especially Wicked which it pure brilliance, and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister which is a great take on social postitions among other things. But other books that I could see becoming classics are possibly White Oleander and The Lovely Bones. Just my opinion though.
    "None of us can choose where we will love." -Erik in Phantom by Susan Kay

"When he is gone, I only wish to sleep. For I know that in my dreams, I shall hear that voice again." -Christine in Phantom by Susan Kay

"Someone with a real religion conviction is, I propose a religious convict, and deserves locking up." -Elphaba in Wicked by Gregory MaGuire

I think that Mark Helprin's works will be considered classics in the future, particularly A Winter's Tale and A Soldier of the Great War.

Also probably McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses.

Some of Philip Roth's recent works, American Pastoral and The Human Stain.

Maybe some of McEwan's forays, Atonement and Enduring Love.

Perhaps lately even Michael Cunningham with The Hours and Speciman Days.
    "When unto these sessions of sweet silent thought I summon up a remembrance of things past."

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey.
    Братство

Having incidentally visited a very large bookstore in my city, I remembered that, I think, many novels and short stories by Tobias Woolf many future readers will consider classics. Personally, I would love to see his work called 'classic.'

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    What exactly is the criteria that must be met in order for a work of literature to be considered a 'Classic'? Are there parameters within which only certain writings will qualify, and what are these limits, or prerequisites?

And yes, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is quite well done, but does it qualify??

Harry Potter????? Does the consumer approval rating dictate whether a book is a classic, or destined to become so?? It this is all the requirement that is needed in order for a book to become a "Classic", then we had better make room for Stephen King, Dr. Suess, Dean Koontz (iiieeeeee!!!!) etc.!!!.....

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    ON a more positive note.....................Hunter S Thompson is dead.

Dr. Seuss's works will be, if they are not considered so already, classics. If not in general then definitely within the realm occupied by the brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Andersen, etc.

~*Dolly Masquerade*~ RococoLocket's Avatar
    Hmm .. is Vladimir Nabokov considered Classic yet? If not he will be. Also Margaret Atwood deffinately, and possibly Anne Rice

I have read Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood,a book with wisdom and imagination,also as peace of mind,hush of heart.I think she will be remembered in the future beacause of her genius.

Maybe nothing...literacy *is* dying. Maybe dead.

I canít see Hairy Potter having much shelf life; itís a fad and simply a gateway to movies.
    Same with most of the other crap listed (da Vinci Code, anything by King).

If pressed, Iíd say/hope/think:
    Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

Blog Entries
    ... Future Classics-
    I don't really know what criteria is required for a book to officially be a classicis, but I think that "The Wheel Of Time" series by Robert Jordan ha a definite possibility of becoming one. Also anything by Lois Lowry- especially "Gathering Blue" =)

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    If a classic is something that will be considered great more than two hundred years after the author's death, The I think that some of the classics from this period will be surprises. Harry Potter will certainly not be among the classics, unless Rowling writes a summarized version of the series in about four hundred pages. I think that Nabokov will be considered a great author, but few people will read more than a couple of his novels. None of the post-Tolkein "fantasy" literature will be considered classic, but Lord Dunsany probably will regain high regard. Some novels in the Science Fiction category will be classics; such as "Lord of Light" by Zelazney, but the space operas will be forgotten. Thrillers and Steven King type stories will be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeestained
    Maybe nothing...literacy *is* dying. Maybe dead.
    I have difficulty seeing this happen in my lifetime, or in any soon upcoming lifetime. No matter what type of literature emerges from writers brains, in publication, I would like to think that it will quite frequently persist; the mere quality, however, for better or worse, may change, as it has.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast