Thread: Agnes Grey

Agnes Grey

I think Agnes Grey is a wonderful story, and being an old romantic, I love happy endings.

It's a real pity that Anne Bronte's talent as a writer has been obscured over time by her sisters Charlotte and Emily. I really don't like some of Charlotte's work, frankly because it lapses into melodrama at times.

But anyway, I really enjoyed Agnes. It's a beautiful little book, and I was delighted to find it a book store recently. I've always admired Anne's simple and yet intense syle of writing. It reminds me of Jane Austen's style of writing, which of course I love.

I think that one of the key themes in Agnes is that no matter what your status, everyone has a right to love and be loved...and this is universally acknowledged (as Jane Austen would put it perhaps!)

I really reccommend this book. If you haven't read it already, do it now!

Hello, Vedrana, welcome to the forum.
    Unfortunately, many readers have noticed the neglect of poor Anne Brontė overshadowed by her sisters. I read Agnes Grey years ago, and found it such a tale of hope and optimism, reflecting many of the morés during her era of literature and rhetoric; and, in a way, Anne Brontė, the youngest of the three sisters, I believe, reminded me much of the same style Jane Austen wrote - a classic love story full of ethical dilemmas, passion, and romantic tension.
    Unfortunately, I have not yet read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, that being the only novel by the Brontės I have not managed to read. All three of the sisters each had very unique styles, easy to decipher, though Emily wrote only one (but incredible) novel, compared to Charlotte's four (I think), and Anne's two; in poetry, however, they reflected shockingly similar styles, if you have had the pleasure of reading it.

i came across this book by accident,as its so short, and i had the day off, i decided to give it a go.

have to say i loved it,even though i guessed they were going to be together in the end i still found the whole book wonderful.

as a result i have bought copies of all the bronte sister's books, and next week im off to haworth to visit their home.

to my shame, i had only heard of emily and charlotte before.

Quote Originally Posted by mono
    though Emily wrote only one (but incredible) novel, compared to Charlotte's four (I think), and Anne's two; in poetry, however, they reflected shockingly similar styles, if you have had the pleasure of reading it.
    I have read Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and I liked WH the best. I agree with mono that Wuthering Heights was incredible.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

I agree! Recently I found a copy in a local bookstore and was delighted. I read books by her more famous sister but found that Anne Bronte has a quiet charming style that stays with you. Might not be as dramatic as her sisters style but is great none the less.

I have also recently read Agnes Grey and I found it really interesting. Though the story moved at a slow pace in the beginning but I enjoyed as the novel progressed. There is also autobiographical touch in Anne's work which makes her a realistic author.
    I haven’t read charlotte’s other works except Jane Eyre and I think Agnes Grey does contain a tinge of it.

I have also recently read Agnes Grey and I found it really interesting. Though the story moved at a slow pace in the beginning but I enjoyed as the novel progressed. There is also autobiographical touch in Anne's work which makes her a realistic author.
    I haven’t read charlotte’s other works except Jane Eyre and I think Agnes Grey does contain a tinge of it.

I“m reading Agnes Grey now and although I love Anne Bronte“s style, I can“t help but finding the plot a little bit boring, perhaps because I keep Jane Eyre in mind all the time...

Drama Queen
    I'm currently reading Agnes Grey, and I find it a pleasant novel. It's not a great work by any means but it's a pleasant enough read.

People will be always comparing Anne to her sisters. Especially when it's about 'Agnes Grey' and 'Jane Eyre', 'cause they can be easily compared as the plot is similar.
    In fact it's good novel, but not remarkable as Jane Eyre.