Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aristotle's Poetics

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    No one has yet surpassed his literary criticism. He is ruely the finest thinker of understanding literature ever. Why does it surprise you? Just because it was so long ago doesn't make it less worthy.
    This is not a fair judgement. If by no one you meant in Greece I do not argue. If you say no one all over the world I will have to say you have little knowledge of world literature, particularly of ancient world literature. Greece and Latin literature enjoyed the privilege of publicity does not mean there were not other greater literary critics in other world literature. Ancient or modern Aristotle is not unsurpassed. Ancient and even medieval eastern literature is matchless in so many ways. Sanskrit is the mother of even so many European languages and Sanskrit scholars were matchless critics. However I reserve judgement to say they were greater critics than the Greeks or the Greeks the greater. It is like seeing one part of the mountain. Who knows the other unseen part of the mountain may be more beautiful. We have to explore.

No doubt Virgil but....
    Last edited by jayat; 02-11-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    No one has yet surpassed his literary criticism. He is ruely the finest thinker of understanding literature ever. Why does it surprise you? Just because it was so long ago doesn't make it less worthy.
    ....maybe, just maybe I repeat, Harold Bloom. His analysis, his canon has helped me a lot to understand what must be considered written art and what not, and, on my opinion again, as important as that, which writers look the greatest ones but they are not so. Few writers are saved by his analysis, the core of the canon. When I read why I got another perspective that has been helping me a lot with my actual reading matters. Personally and finally, I found brilliant the concept of School of Resentment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12