Thread: George Eliot

George Eliot

Can you tell if George Eliot is a woman by her writing? I believe so, but in my opinion, it is not as noticible as some woman authors, such as Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters. I would like to know the opinions of my collegues on this matter.
    Wilfred

Re: George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred
    Can you tell if George Eliot is a woman by her writing? I believe so, but in my opinion, it is not as noticible as some woman authors, such as Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters. I would like to know the opinions of my collegues on this matter.
    George Eliot is quickly becoming my favorite writer. You can't tell in her style, as it's very objective and psychologically-oriented, as opposed to being centered around the emotions of her characters like her predecessors Jane Austen and the Brontes. But in Middlemarch, she focuses more on Dorothea's suffering than any others'; and even Lydgate, the second central character, is feminine in his psychology (he's the submissive figure in his marriage and like Dorothea, his ambition rests on the idea of improving the lives of others rather than the more masculine desire for fame and money, though he does long for his place in history).

I'm currently reading Silas Marner, by the way.

I think what I really like about Eliot is her understanding of both masculine and feminin. In the Mill on the Floss the main character is based on her life as a child, so through out the book I was aware that it was a woman writing, but her other stories are usually a complete survey of both perspectives.
    She's one of my favorite authors too.

Chrissy