Thread: Religion and Humor

Religion and Humor

Many religious discussions and debates I see around are so ultra-serious and sober, too combative; I'm wondering where that ingredient of humor is to be found. I'd like to hear a little from the lighter side.

Shakespeare found humor in religion, say Pandolf in "King John" and the fake healer in Henry VI, Part 2.

I think Jesus probably had fun when talking with the lady at the well, a nice way to pass an hour. Asking her to draw water to see how she would respond, then going on to tell about her 5 husbands.

Taoism and Zen is full of wit.

Advise as to humor in any and all religious persuasions.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    What exactly do you mean? do you mean the relgions view on humor or the humor /or the ability to make fun of the religion?
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    "The total absence of humour in the Bible is one of the most singular things in all literature" A N Whitehead, philosopher, mathematician and historian of science.
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Time for Monty Python discussion?
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    huh??
    I really dont get that and this thing wont just let me post huh??
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    <Time for Monty Python discussion? >

Hehe. Nice one.

The local evangelists tried to get the Life of Brian banned from our cinema when it was on release. Luckily, the town council had a sense of humour.
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

The Boondock Saints (a movie with Willem Dafoe in it) once said: "It is easy to be sarcastic about religion...it is much more difficult...to take a stand for what you believe in." Humor is the first step to removing oneself from religion, at times. Usually there is some sort of anger or denial at first, then the humor comes in as a coping mechanism. Depending on how well one deals with the switch, one might just become eternally stuck with a humorous attitude towards religion, or maybe just angry, many others just move on to acceptance and tolerance.

Personally I think a lot of humor ends up being just insulting when it gets around religion and that's not always the best thing. Luckily stuff like The Life of Brian pulls off good satire and most comedians that focus on religion are just trying to present a message more clear than objectivity can bring.
    To think is to blog is to distract is to stop is to destroy is to die is to think therefore I am not good enough