View Poll Results: Favorite Dickens novel?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bleak House

13 13.27%
  • A Tale of Two Cities

23 23.47%
  • David Copperfield

13 13.27%
  • The Old Curiosity Shop

2 2.04%
  • Hard Times

3 3.06%
  • The Pickwick Papers

4 4.08%
  • Oliver Twist

4 4.08%
  • Great Expectations

21 21.43%
  • Little Dorrit

2 2.04%
  • Nicholas Nickleby

2 2.04%
  • A Christmas Carol

11 11.22%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Dickens work?

Definately 'Oliver Twist', followed by 'Great Expectations,' we're studying the latter in english at the moment, i love the way Dickens symbolises each of the characters within their environment.
    "Thyself thy foe, to thy sweet self too cruel."

-Shakespeare

David Copperfield

My favorite is David Copperfield. I deeply enjoyed and savored every golden moment of it. To me it is a masterpiece of humanity that, through so many endearing characters and the things that happen to them, explores the human psyche in a way that is so easy to digest, so touching, and so human.

My favourite is the Old Curiosity shop it was the first Dickens I read and it blew away all my preconceptions about him it was so moving and funny, I just fell for little Nell and Dick. A tale of two cities would be my second because of the death of Sydney but only just. Mostly it was a disappointment I felt you couldn't connect with the heroine Lucy and her husband Charles .

Atonalized-Rationale GrayFoxDown's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My favorite Dickens' novel is undoubtedly DAVID COPPERFIELD. It's certainly one of the greatest (if not THE GREATEST) examples of autobiographical-style writing and it's Dickens most personal work (it was his favorite novel). I've been reading DC ever since I was a child (for nearly 45 years now!) and every new reading brings me renewed discovery and delight...I love it!

"My mind is going...I can feel it" (HAL-9000)

"When in Doubt, Tell the Truth" (Mark Twain)

of course"Great Expectations" i can't think of any equivalent
    and i said maybe oneday...

I'd have to say A Tale Of Two Cities. It is a masterpiece that stretches through time and will always be one of my top reads.

I think Bleak House is his best (so far as I've read), but David Copperfield is my favourite.

As yet I'm only a little over halfway through the Dickens novels. I've read (in this order) David Copperfield, Great Expectations, Bleak House, Nicholas Nickleby, Oliver Twist, The Old Curiosity Shop, A Tale of Two Cities, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Hard Times, and I'm currently about 100 pages into Martin Chuzzlewit.

I, personally, preferred Nicholas Nickleby to the rest. I loved hating Wackford Squeers and all his family. They were greedy for the tuition of the children and torturous to those kids.....which was horrible enough, but to be especially cruel to the pure hearted Smike really pulls you into the story. I like the namesake of the book for his true to life heroics. He was not so perfectly angelic as many of Dickens' heroes are, but his passion was always perfectly directed in the right direction. And to see Ralph Nickleby's downward spiral is very rewarding of your hopes for justice, even if the justice was self inflicted. I just loved this story and am truly surprised to find my vote the first to be cast in Nickleby's direction.

I also really enjoyed David Copperfield, Bleak House and A Tale of Two Cities. "Two Cities" is an incredibly interesting story, but the only character I really connected with in it was Sydney Carton...it's greatness rested completely in it's story line and not at all in it's characters.

And Edwin Drood is so intriguing and will remain so. There are literally as many conceivable endings to that as there are sentences in the book.

I just love Charles Dickens and I've only just begun reading fiction literature. I'm hooked on his stuff though.

Great Expectations...in my view...his finest work with the most ascerbic commentary on the times. quasimodo1

what about CHUZZLEWIT?

I'm going through Martin Chuzzlewit right now and am really enjoying it. He's a little hard on my country, but it's kinda funny (even if I am one of the most influential citizens of the U-nited States) but I love the characters. The 'bad' characters are a little mysterious and not so much out and out 'bad and proud of it' like Scrooge and Quilp, and the 'good' characters are angelic in their purity but not 2 dementional.

I still consider Nickleby my favorite, but this is a good story and definitely deserving of a spot in the poll (even if it wouldn't get a vote).

A Tale of Two Cities

After Great Expectations I really doubt I will read Dickens in next 5 years.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Wow, lots of Dickens fans here. I must say you guys have read more than a couple of his books! I noticed that lots made mention of David Copperfield, which I might wanna check out sometime. I've only read A Christmas Carol and I must say it's always been an all-time favorite book of mine. Sometimes I reread it just to pass the time on a sad day.

I read "A Tale of Two Cities" the summer I was 12. This was mainly because I had just started to really get into the reading thing (I had just finished "Wuthering Heights" - I recieved it as a graduation gift for graduating from elementary school). I absolutely loved it. So, I voted for that one.

I will say, though, that "Nicholas Nickleby" is a close second. Honestly? If it would've been completed, I would probably say "The Mystery of Edwin Drood".

so I dub thee unforgiven ntropyincarnate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My favorite is definitely "A Tale of Two Cities," which to me is about redemption, and that's my favorite kind of story. Followed by "Oliver Twist," then "David Copperfield."
    Snow White is doing dishes again, 'cause what else can you do with seven itty bitty men?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast