Thread: Ninteen Eighty-Four

Ninteen Eighty-Four

I just have to say that this book is AMAZING! I'm only on the 3rd chapter but I'm already hooked! I had no idea that it was so closely based on the Second World War! I hadn't really done my research on it. But I'm also pretty proud that I figured that out! Shows I do pay attention in History.
    Books are the carriers of civillisation- Henri "Papillon" Charriere

I would have to agree with you - this book is fantastice. I have just started reading this book and can't stop thinking about it. Is it just me or is there a slight parallel beteen the restriction of thought through the restriction of language and the restriction of thought today by way of us being continually being told what we may and may not say. I am of course refering to political correctness.
    A picture can paint a thousand words - but it does not take a thousand words to paint a picture

well, no direct reference as the novel was written forty years ago now, but as most good sci fi it's definately a warning about what the world could come to. It's one of my favourite books, and my favourite sci fi book. Great end as well.

1984 is a great book. I read Animal Farm, and immeadiatly knew that I HAD to have 1984. You wont be dissapointed with any part of this fine piece of literature.
    Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler's pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die.

April, come she will... scruffy_danny's Avatar
    I started reading 1984 and I honestly can't put it down. It really does completely take over your thought and I'm constantly thinking of all the issues which are raised in this awesome book.

Interested Party...

I read this book pre-1984 and was blown away with the issues it raised. Every so often I still go back and re-read a brilliant story.

Magnificent
    Last edited by c4rson; 01-05-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Mmmmmm...1984...

I loved the book and read it many years ago. I also saw the movie which was a bit slow but got the point across although the end is more encouraging.

I don't agree with those who argue that this type of totalitarian government was a mere result of not having church or morality in that society; on the contrary, the nazis were openly supported by the mainstrem chuch of the time.

I don't think that the book relates at any point with the issue of Saddam Huseim neither, this point is totally irrelevant in my opinion. Videos interviewing both Iraqis who liked or disliked his goverment state that notwithstanding his government was not an ideal one, Iraqis could still manage to be alive and maintain their own cultures. There was not a total chaos as it has been suggested by the same depatriated Iraqis who led us to war.

Talking about good and evil is infantile if you ask me, these are antiquated terms written in bibles or in cartoons designed for children and 1984 is not a book that suggests any of the above.

This is only about Big Bro taking over citizens' minds. History does not change a great deal and usually tends to repeat in cycles; for that reason the similitudes described in this fictional book based on perhaps historical experiences of the author--with a great touch of imagination in the making--may remind us of facts happening in our own backyards, that's what is frightening.

This book is about the power of freethinking without the influence or overpowerment coming from any entities, institutions or mainstream political parties, that's why it is an important book. It is an eye opener to readers' intellectuality which leads sharply to a simple and unavoidable question: 'What's happening to us?'