Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast

Thread: who is the most overrated writer ever?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baddad
    Mr. "I think I'll eat my shotgun" Hemingway is sure taking a beating in this thread. I am saddened to the point of a weep.....*sniff*.....
    I have a hard time seeing Hemingway placed on the same list as Rowlings, too!

For those who don't like Kerouac and continue to follow a day in day out existence, he was railing against you, against society and norms. Try the Darma Bums, Kerouac deserves a second chance.

Two thumbs down for the Potter series!

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mental
    I have a hard time seeing Hemingway placed on the same list as Rowlings, too!

For those who don't like Kerouac and continue to follow a day in day out existence, he was railing against you, against society and norms. Try the Darma Bums, Kerouac deserves a second chance.

Two thumbs down for the Potter series!

*wants to agree completely with the above quote...but*

I suppose the 'Potter' series is a good read for younger folks, anything that encourages people to read has value I suppose.....

I have tried to read books by Willa Cather and Catherine Anne Porter many years ago, but I couldn't get into them, then. Maybe I could try again sometime.
    For the triumph of evil, all it takes is for a few good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke

Dan Brown and Hunter S. Thompson
    ok then.

overrated writer

I think that Tom Wolfe is the most overrated writer ever!I detested his new journalism and find his novels badly written and almost entirely lacking in any literary merit. Honestly just because he's from the south and wears a white suit literary editors of magazines seem to equate him to a Faulkner or Dickinson instead of just the grubby overvalued little (in every sense) hack that he is!

Virginia Wolf and Margaret Attwood-ARGHH!!
    Apologies to all the Anne of Green Gables kazillions of fans but I really didn't like that woman's writing and when I read her life and if I remember correctly she herself didn't enjoy writing some of them, she needed the money, well...
    I have not read a single Harry Potter, I really don't know why. I love with a passion Tolkien although considering he was a world class philoligist and had a chair at Merton his writing seems childish. But to me that is what makes it work. I gave it a chance so maybe I'll shell out some drachmas for harry.

"courage Merry, for our friends." Aeowyn

Overrated authors.

I'm thinking...Jane Austin?

Pardon me if this already has been discussed several times.
    I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me.
    It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.

Right here, my dear.

You think Jane Austen is overrated??
    As Kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame . . .

Why disqualify the rush? I'm tabled. I'm tabled.

I agree, F.Emerald. Jane Austen stinks!

I don't think Jane Austen is overrated. Well, maybe slightly. I really don't think that Pride and Prejudice is as good as everyone thinks it is, but I'm sure there are lots of authors who are infinitely more overrated than Jane Austen.

James Joyce.

Jorge Luis Borges. Although i've only read "Ficciones" I think so anyway.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In quicky browsing through this post I find myself wondering about the reasoning behind all these choices for "overrated writers". It is quite easy to simply state that James Joyce (?!), or J.L. Borges (?!), or Jane Austen (!?) are overrated. One might just as easily proclaim that Shakespeare, Mozart, and Michelangelo are overrated, but all such proclamations do is lead one into questioning the opinions of the person making such blanket statements without offering any rationale. Perhaps one might want to offer some reasoning behind one's opinion. James Joyce, for example, is not one of my favorite writers, but before I would think to declare that he is far overrated, I would be sure that I could offer some facts of reasons behind my opinion. Just a thought.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Stlukesguild, don't forget this thread says "overrated authors" not "bad authors". And as far as i see Joyce is the one of the most overrated author of English literature. You know some silly intellectuals even consider him most important English writer of 20. century. And if they call him "most important person of 20. century English literature" i say it's overrate. Because i've read many American and English writers and i definetely read better authors than him. Especially his "greatest" work "Ulysses" is extremely boring. According to me it's not a great novel but "intellectual brain masturbation". And as we know if there's something is sophisticated intellectuals suddenly appears (just like Gremlins) and says it's an important piece of art. If we remember this guys choosed a toilet (Marcel Duchamp's) as the most important art-work of 20. century it'll be easier to understadn my argument. If they can choose a toilet as the most influental art-work of 20. century of course we shouldn't surprised when they said "Joyce is the most important English writer of 20. century".

To me, a novel or story doesn't have to be sophisticated and full of intellectualism to be great. Sometimes the most simple thing is the most beatiful thing.

Blog Entries
    Say what you will about Joyce, but there are very few authors who have their own national holiday.
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf