Page 57 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7475253545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: who is the most overrated writer ever?

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Who is Stephenie Meyer? I have never heard of her, and I have never heard of her writing being rated highly by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullaby View Post
    I concur. Stephenie Meyer's novels couldn't be less original, and further overrated, if she tried.
    Well, vampires that glitter in sunlight are original enough, though not entirely well-received.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    Who is Stephenie Meyer? I have never heard of her, and I have never heard of her writing being rated highly by anyone.
    She wrote a series called the Twilight Saga: Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. They are 'highly rated' by hormonal teenagers/housewives.

Hm, I agree that she's not the best writer in the world, but at least its entertaining. I mean, how could a vampire/werewolf/human love triangle not be amusing?
    He prayed best, who loveth best
    All things both great and small;
    For the dear God who loveth us,
    He made and loveth all.

~Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    She wrote a series called the Twilight Saga: Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. They are 'highly rated' by hormonal teenagers/housewives.
    I never heaard of her, so her rating can't be significant.

I agree.
    The salvation of the world is in man's suffering. - Faulkner

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    I never heaard of her, so her rating can't be significant.
    If you've never heard of her, then you havn't been inside of a North American bookstore or movie theater in a year (or you're deaf). Every time I go to the counter at a Chapters, the person that checks me out almost always says something along the lines of "Oh thank god, someone who ISN'T buying something by Stephenie Meyer." Also, the "Twilight" posters are everywhere, and people on THIS forum have been harping about it for months. Where have you been?
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    If you've never heard of her, then you havn't been inside of a North American bookstore or movie theater in a year (or you're deaf).
    LOL, f'real. Her mention is as common as a cold virus.

I think it's invalid to call her "overrated" though. No one credible would ever call her a Great Writer; even her fans (except those under 15 years, who probably constitute a majority) would acknowledge that she is more of an entertainer than an artist. On the whole, she is rated correctly; that is, she is a delightful indulgence for a limited audience, and nothing more.

It is fair to call authors like Kerouac or Salinger overrated, as they are taught in schools as examples of Great Writers. Or even someone contemporary like Palahniuk--I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Palahniuk class taught at some university somewhere, because people really take that douche seriously. One of my friends told me that "Fight Club" changed her life. What a tool. I guess she's not really my friend. Well, she was before she said that.
    Last edited by triplesick; 08-11-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by triplesick View Post
    Or even someone contemporary like Palahniuk--I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Palahniuk class taught at some university somewhere, because people really take that douche seriously. One of my friends told me that "Fight Club" changed her life. What a tool. I guess she's not really my friend. Well, she was before she said that.
    So you're talking behind your friend's back because she doesn't like the same literature as you . . .
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!

I posted earlier in this thread that Shakespeare was the most over-rated writer...I'm changing my vote to Ayn Rand. As much as Shakespeare's praise annoys me, hardcore Rand fans("Objectivists") are almost as crazy as hardcore Twilight fans that beat people that dislike Twilight with baseball bats.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjar of Akkad View Post
    Stephenie Meyer with the twilight series, and Christopher Paolini with his terrible generic fantasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by My name is red View Post
    Every name could be uttered as overrated and thats okay to some extend.But there is only one single name that I'm pretty sure that it's not overrated,and that's Shakespeare
    how can one not love a forum that has a thread that gives these three writers equal consideration...

---

Blog Entries
    Shakespeare was the most over-rated writer

Why do you think he's overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    Shakespeare was the most over-rated writer

Why do you think he's overrated?
    Because anyone placed universally on such a high pedestal is inherently over-rated.

Blog Entries
    Because anyone placed universally on such a high pedestal is inherently over-rated.

Don't you think it might be because of how good the work is?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post

Don't you think it might be because of how good the work is?
    "Good" is 100% subjective.