Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast

Thread: who is the most overrated writer ever?

Yeah, I'm 16 which according to you means I don't know ****. Well I'd rather stay 16 and not know anything and be sure about that, than be an anal old fart like you and pretend I know everything.
    Братство

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Please avoid turning literary disagreements into personal conflicts and attacks. Such incidents cause unpleasant atmosphere not only for you but for all the other users visiting the Forum.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

virgin fresh wool sweater glitterandtwang's Avatar
    I'd have to agree that Virginia Woolf is especially overrated. I do think that, more recently, Chuck Palahniuk is given much more credit than he's due.
    When she lowers her eyes she seems to hold all the beauty in the world between her eyelids; when she raises them I see only myself in her gaze.
    -Natalie Clifford Barney

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade
    As some of you might be expecting (*grins at Mono and Jay*) my suggestion is Virginia Woolf... I have read two of her books and left with the same feeling of 'and...?' and I didn't care much for her style either... I can also say the same things for Jeanette Winterson maybe but I have read only one book of hers.
    Eh, no offense taken, Scher. Virginia Woolf seems someone either greatly admired or greatly not-so-admired, which I can see both sides of the debate, but cannot deny her. Jeannette Winterson, yes, I know, can seem a little dry and . . . in a way, cliché. I love both of the writers, their brilliant minds, but see others' complaints.
    That writers like J.D. Salinger and Ernest Hemingway made the list does not surprise me in the least; they, too, seem absolutely a blessing to the bookshelf to me, but I clearly perceive what others can dislike about them. I know, especially Salinger's Nine Stories, reads with much difficulty, but I cannot insult its pure uniquity.
    Chuck Palahniuk also appeared with no surprise. Coming from the city that, I believe, he still teaches in, hearing always of his book reviews and raves, and even spotting him on the street now and then, I get a little tired of it. I adore his novels, their undeniably dark factor, but cannot quite connect to his short stories.

i like some of palahniuk's stuff like fight club, survivor and choke which were very imaginative and interesting but lately hes been writing pretty awful stuff though i hear his latest novel "haunted" is set to be a good one so i hope its a return to form for one of todays most original and interesting writers around.

(ps jack im not old, just older, ill be 21 on the 27 of june)

Rowling is great, certainly not over-rated in my opinion.

Of the names listed so far I agree with Virginia Wolfe.

*Yawn*

My choices would be Shakespeare and Dostovesky.

Well. I guess I gotta respect someone with a controversial opinion.
    Братство

virgin fresh wool sweater glitterandtwang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mister_noel_y2k
    i like some of palahniuk's stuff like fight club, survivor and choke which were very imaginative and interesting but lately hes been writing pretty awful stuff though i hear his latest novel "haunted" is set to be a good one so i hope its a return to form for one of todays most original and interesting writers around.
    I loved Fight Club and Survivor, but apart from those two I don't find much of his writing particularly innovative anymore. I tracked down "Guts" online out of curiosity — I believe it's in Haunted, but please correct me if I'm mistaken — and I wasn't even mildly impressed. It seemed written more for shock value than any other purpose. Though I think his writing style was innovative and original when he started out, it's quickly growing tired. I keep waiting for him to do something that snags my interest and seems to be something more than a repetition of all his other work. I can't help but wonder if the man is drowning in his success...
    When she lowers her eyes she seems to hold all the beauty in the world between her eyelids; when she raises them I see only myself in her gaze.
    -Natalie Clifford Barney

I found Earnest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald to be overrated. I had heard a lot of good things about The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald, but it failed to live up, and I wasn't overly fond of his writing style. The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway was just plain dull.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 06-27-2005 at 02:02 AM.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
    The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
    Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
    And burbled as it came!

Though it looks like I'm in the minority, I actually enjoy Joyce, Woolfe, and Hemingway, but anyway...I would nominate Stephen King for this position. Now before any of his fans attack me (physically or verbally), allow me to explain: I've read several of his novels and I simply failed to find the characters interesting and the plots to be drawn out entirely too long. The Dark Tower for instance. I will admit that several of his short stories are worthy of merit though.
    Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever...

I am wondering if a lot of people that list Salinger, Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, Woolf (the list goes on... some of the most influential authors of modern writing) read these authors for school. I found I didn't appreciate these writers until I re-read them independantly a few years after school...

I completely agree with the Stephen King nomination. I've read several of his books (admittedly not much of his early writings besides The Shining) and agree the characters and writing are quite dull. The movie version of the Shining is one of those few that beat out the books - this one by a long shot. (Now go ahead and attack this nom. Stephen King fans)

With Stephen King, I can really perceive what his very devoted readers enjoy in his literature, but I could also never call myself a fan, with the exception of The Shining and The Green Mile (also decent movies).
    In these two novels, I feel he put much more thought and pre-meditation, while many of the others I have read consist of mere gore.
    Other contemporary writers I happened to forget to list, for unknown reasons, and who I oddly associate with Stephen King: Dean Koontz and John Grisham - any writer who has the mysterious ability to produce so many novels in such little time cannot contribute as much effort as Leo Tolstoy, for example, who wrote few, but qualitative, novels.

i think with king it's kind of hit and miss- i've read and loved the shining, misery, the green mile, different seasons (with the shawshank redemption), black house, and on writing but i've also read It, pet sematery, carrie, and salem's lot and disliked those. i'm now reading the dark tower series and like that despite the first one being very shaky both in story and writing. so all in all, i think king is a good writer but his penchant for putting out so many books all the time sometimes makes for bad writing and sometimes for good.
    ditto elmore leonard.

i like king but i cant read king after reading a good classic novel.
    Trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you have never met.

Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast