Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you get yours?

Blog Entries

Where do you get yours?

Newspaper reporting has become so extreme in its political bias and so utterly negative, that it is virtually useless as a source of information. "The popular press" has abandoned all pretence of publishing "news" in any serious sense of the word and has recently found an even deeper bottom to race to. The BBC is still excellent, but is coming under more and more Murdoch inspired political pressure, and will not be able to continue as it has.

So I follow a range of journalists and commentators on twitter -and follow links to articles that catch their eye (often in the Huff Post). But in doing so I have become my own editor and my own bias is creeping in - I enjoy reading stuff I agree with.

I was wondering where people go to keep themselves informed?
    ay up

If I buy a newspaper at all it is usually the Daily Telegraph or The Times but I find Le Monde more informative than either even though it's slightly left of centre. I also read French magazines such as L'Express and Le Point for in depth coverage of specific news items that interest me. I seldom read the tabloids as they are usually full of nonsense concerning 'celebrities' and other nonentities but sometimes I will pick up a Metro if one is left on a train, because I like reading the item where people write in requesting a date with someone they took a shine to on their travels to work e.g. Small ginger guy wearing a kilt would like to meet the tall black guy with the shark's teeth necklace using the 8.30 train to Waterloo on Tuesday.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    That is the best bit - and very tempting too -to make something up and send it in.
    ay up

Blog Entries
    I get most of my news from my wife who gets it from some internet sites she reads.

We stopped our cable subscription some time ago and so we don't have the noise in the background anymore. I remember getting a call from the cable company saying the rates were going up but the guy explained that it's alright because he was going to "help me out" with some deal. My wife wanted to know what the guy wanted. I told her they were going to raise the cable rates. She took the phone and told him to cancel the subscription, something I had been wanting for some time.

Blog Entries
    Husband cons wife into giving up cable shock!!!
    ay up

"Now that we've given up cable, honey, I have to go to the bar whenever I want to watch a football game. What else can I do?"

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    That is the best bit - and very tempting too -to make something up and send it in.
    It may be an exaggeration but not much of one, some of the entries are hilarious.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    I also read French magazines such as L'Express and Le Point for in depth coverage of specific news items that interest me.
    I checked the web versions of these. I'll see if my interest continues and then I may subscribe. If nothing else, I can always say I'm trying to improve my French.

I have been reading financial sites more over the past six months. I like Seeking Alpha where commentators of various levels of competence try to rationalize their contradictory views. It is focused on US markets. I don't think this falls under the "news" category, but indirectly you do get news.

When my daughter asks me who I am going to vote for for President next year, Hilary Clinton or Donald Trump, all I can think is this little kid is growing up and becoming political.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I checked the web versions of these. I'll see if my interest continues and then I may subscribe. If nothing else, I can always say I'm trying to improve my French.

I have been reading financial sites more over the past six months. I like Seeking Alpha where commentators of various levels of competence try to rationalize their contradictory views. It is focused on US markets. I don't think this falls under the "news" category, but indirectly you do get news.

When my daughter asks me who I am going to vote for for President next year, Hilary Clinton or Donald Trump, all I can think is this little kid is growing up and becoming political.
    People take up French for various reasons but overall it's one of the most sophisticated of European languages and more feminin in its intonation than English or German for example. Phonetically, French women have a head start over others when it concerns l'amour.

As for D.Trump and H. Clinton, I wouldt rule out Jeb Bush: God help us.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    I like the Daily Telegraph but that is a good question. I (like many) can see through how the media tries to steer the population with use of emotive photographs and force feeding of certain narratives. It's not so much what source of media i choose, but my ability to view events critically, objetively and with good sense - I need this skill.

With so much (too much) information out there, I can only hope that at least half the population has a similar skill set. That said: I'm a firm believer in vagueness on social media in order to keep the peace.

Blog Entries
    I checked out the Daily Telegraph's website. It looks similar to Le Point except I understood it better.

If I were going to recommend places where to get information I would probably pick the Chicago Tribune or the New York Times, not that I actually read these newspapers.

I do check out the Chicago Tribune as well as other sites just prior to voting. I want to make sure I know which judges I should vote against rather than doing what one of my friends does and simply vote against all of them. Living in Illinois, it is somewhat easier during presidential elections. By the time the primaries occur here, it is already known which candidates have enough delegates to win the nomination. Usually the one I'd like to vote for has been eliminated long ago.

Monthlies:
    The Atlantic

Weeklies:
    The New Yorker

Dailies:
    The New York Times
    The Wall Street Journal

Background Noise:
    CNBC
    Uhhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by tonywalt View Post
    I like the Daily Telegraph but that is a good question. I (like many) can see through how the media tries to steer the population with use of emotive photographs and force feeding of certain narratives. It's not so much what source of media i choose, but my ability to view events critically, objetively and with good sense - I need this skill.

With so much (too much) information out there, I can only hope that at least half the population has a similar skill set. That said: I'm a firm believer in vagueness on social media in order to keep the peace.

It pays to be circumspect regarding the press, all newspapers are in the business of lies and hyperbole to a greater or lesser degree. My all time favourite being the tabloid headline revelation that a B29 bomber had been found on the moon.

Blog Entries
    Tony is right you have to make allowences and be aware of the editorial agenda.

I often navigate to The New York Times through a Twitter link, its good for a different perspective (and my french is tres poor).

There are some good independent journalists to follow, who hawk their stuff around and end up posting on the internet, presumably they are not sensational enough for the printed press. I particularly like Peter Jukes, he's like a plucky ack-ack gunner, shooting up at the big bombers overhead - one day Peter, one day.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 09-23-2015 at 01:52 PM.
    ay up

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Pawnee Sun.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast