Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most boring book ever?

Robinson Crusoe by Defoe :evil:
    Then my heart with pleasure fills
    And dancecs with daffoddils.

Wuthering Heights off the top of my head
    "God is a concept by which we measure our pain." - John Lennon

Ever Benevolent and Wise
    Indeed Wuthering Heights made my eyes bleed. :evil: But I loved the movie tho'.

I love "Wuthering Heights," but then I've got a big thing for doomed romances, and you get more doom in the book than the film.

The most boring read I ever in encountered was Angela Bowie's memoirs. I got to page 15 and gave up. How you can take the late '60s/early '70s rock scene and turn it into paint drying, I don't know, but she managed it.

ihrocks
    The revolution is just a T-shirt away -- Billy Bragg

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but On the Beach. I think that was the title. It's supposed to be about a submarine that is out to sea during a nuclear war. I did a book report on it in in tenth grade, it went something like this:

On the Beach is about Australian naval personell, and how dehydrated they are. They can't seem to quench this massive thirst. On page 2, a man and a woman drink beer on a beach. On page 14, a two officers order lemonade in a restaraunt. On page 22, coffee is served at a meeting. On page 36, someone drinks a glass of water. On page 48, a glass of limeade is ordered, and, two paragraphs later, a waitress brings it. On page 62, someone brews tea. I must confess, I stopped reading after page 120. Surely, I missed the ordering of the ceremonial apple juice, which must be the climax of the book.
    I don't mind books where people actually do things (ie, talk in a restraunt and order and recieve food), but the sheer amount of refreshing via liquid was distracting.

Everything by Marcel Proust that I have ever tried to read I have not been able to finish. I have tried again and again, approaching his work with an open mind, but every time I have been disappointed and bored so much that I put the book down before finishing it--which is extremely unusual for me.
    "I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable, / I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world."--Walt Whitman

Blood electric , by Kenji Siratori is probably the worst book I ever tried to read. Can´t decide if its plain dull ur just unreadable.

I quote the first lines -

" <<I record the vital-icon+our chromosome form escape of the suck=blood chromosome::the horizon of the body fluid= murder like the dog that was doen to nude gene= TV/spasm// "

And so on. For 224 pages!
    "Man was made for joy and woe;
    And when this we rightly know
    Through the world we safely go" Blake

Ever Benevolent and Wise
    Ugh, what horrible stuff. Did you buy this book? Keep the reciept? I'd take it back, with lots of growling.

And here comes opion #429, people please don't try so damn hard to be `cool' and `hip' and `modern' and `different'. It's awful, you write yourself into oblivion with stuff like this.

Maybe people will say, `Well hell, this Siratori guy is way ahead of his time" or somesuch, but it's deliberate and contrived, like painting by numbers, only this guy has jumbled up crosswords or something. UNintelligible. Or maybe you need to be on heroin to comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by Isagel
    Blood electric , by Kenji Siratori is probably the worst book I ever tried to read. Can´t decide if its plain dull ur just unreadable.

I quote the first lines -

" <<I record the vital-icon+our chromosome form escape of the suck=blood chromosome::the horizon of the body fluid= murder like the dog that was doen to nude gene= TV/spasm// "

And so on. For 224 pages!

Blog Entries
    There's only one book I haven't been able to finish though I tried- 3 times! I'm not sure if it's the book's fault or mine, so I won't say "boring book" but the one I certainly can't stand - Dr. Zhivago. I've never got beyond 40 pages!
    Um- I actually quite liked Moby Dick. Ditto for Ulysses and Crime and Punishment. And Pride and Prejdice and Wuthering Heights are high on my list of perpetual rereads.
    I'm nobody, who are you?
    Are you nobody too?
    There's a pair of us, don't tell!
    They'd banish us, you know!

How dreary to be somebody!

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    I just finished "A Room With a View." While there was some great characterization and artistic symbolism in it, the plot went nowhere. Forster wrote about things that happened in the story in such a way that they seem significant, but if you think about what just happened, you realize that NOTHING HAPPENED AT ALL!

Did anyone else think that this looked like >shudder< E.E. Comings trying to write a novel?
    [/quote]
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

smeghead
    I know a book that would win 'most boring book ever' HANDS DOWN. IT IS THE MOST BORING BOOK EVER. My economics book (of course). Unclear explanations, convoluted sentences, it's got it all.
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

Seated in a very full bath, reading a four-year-old letter
    I cast my vote for Cry, the Beloved Country. While I could appreciate what it was trying to do, I was bored out of my mind the entire time.

And I love Fitzgerald, but gosh, Tender is the Night was a chore to get through!
    "To get straight to the worst, what I'm about to offer isn't really a short story at all but a sort of prose home movie..."

Memories of the Future

U2aholic

the most boring book

Which book you have read is the most boring one?
    In dreams begin responsibilities.

Thus Spake Zarathustra

I don't think it would have been so bad if I would have had more than 5 days to read it. And if I wouldn't have had the biggest jerk for a teacher for who's class I was reading this book. When he asked what was taking us so long to read it and we said we could not understand the book if we read too fast, he said "what's to understand. IT's a book. You never read to understand, just to gain the form of the book." When asked "What is the form of a book?" He points to a chair and says "That is a form." and walks out of the classroom. No one ever understood what he meant by the "FORM" of a book. It doesn't matter to me anymore. I got an A in the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Monica
    Which book you have read is the most boring one?
    Lord of the Flies, by William Golding. Had to read it for school, and I hated my teacher for it.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast