Thread: intertextual polemic

cecillian

intertextual polemic

How do you apply Intertextual polemic reading on "The Bothers Karamazov" ?

You apply it by just reading it but it requires one to have done vast amounts of reading. If you had read every book ever written you'd probably find a lot of intertexuality, i.e., you would find a lot of literary connections between what Doestoyevsky was writing about and subjects and themes that had been written about prior to the publication of Brothers Karamazov. It would be interesting to know what Doestoyevsky himself had read. You can find a lot of intertexuality with the chapter titled "The Grand Inquisitor" which deals with the Inquisition, the role of the church (to take away our choice and replace it with a complacent sense of peace ), and the true nature of Jesus Christ. Also the father-son relationship dealt with in Brothers is a common literary theme (Cain-Abel and God; East of Eden, etc.).

Although all authors are not influenced by the same prior authors, they are all influenced by those that came before them. You can definitely learn a lot about an author and how they have come to their opinions and beliefs, based on who and what they have read. I think this is why an interest in history, and an appreciation for literature stretching back centuries ago, even a few millenia, is highly useful in acquiring the ability to better understand what authors are trying to say in their books. Even books that are purely for fun can be greatly influenced by beliefs. The Chronicles of Narnia and Aslan are a prime example of this. I remember reading this wonderful series of books when I was about 12 and did not clue into or understand any of the symbolism with Aslan in relation to Jesus. Thinking about this further, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot I missed back then simply because I didn't have enough life experience and acquired knowledge.

It is quite enjoyable to read a book and understand references, ideas, and witty comments that have origins in previous authors or history. I remember reading The Once and Future King and smiling every time the author made some reference to Plato, Aristotle, or education in general. As a young man all of those things would have went over my head simply because I really had no clue about Plato or Aristotle, let alone had read any of their work.

cecillian
    Thank you both really really.
    So I should read the works of prior writers' simultaneously with Dostoyevsky to apply intertextual reading to for example The Brothers Karamazov.

Do you have to write a paper on this? Have you read the entire Brothers yet?

"So I should read the works of prior writers' simultaneously with Dostoyevsky to apply intertextual..." Your problem here is what to read because there is so much. I'd start by reading scholarly articles with analyses and criticisms of Brothers and see what they have to say. Make a note of the works they refer to and then read those. Will save you a lot of time. You're probably going to find a lot of religious references.

cecillian
    Thank you so much.Yes papillondemai, it's just about a paper but not just Dostoyevsky. It's about the intertextuality in Woody Allen films and Dostoyevsky's novels specially The Brothers. I found also an article about it,with the title disturbing the balance. First I thought it is a kind of reading in post structuralism.But the was no reference. Therefore i decided to zoom on intertextuality first and later find out about disturbing the balance.
    Last edited by cecillian; 07-20-2013 at 04:42 AM.