Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Mom, I put a couple of people in Hell today.

It's not a masculine pronoun. Look at how grammar functions in some sentences: 'if anyone needs a copy, he can get one here'. Obviously 'anyone' is not masculine, but it is singular so you can't say 'they', you have to say 'he' (or 'she', if it was something like a Women's Rights convention). So in this case 'he' is gender-neutral.

As for God, it would seem that He is literally the 'Father', but the truth is, He is gender-neutral as well.

Although 'he' can be gender-neutral it is not when used in context with the bible. Other words used to indicate God in the bible are also masculine. They include LORD, Father, Bridegroom. Also Jesus.

But we are far off topic now.

Jonus
    Whatever happened to peace on earth?

It's my topic, I don't care if we digress.

Tell me, Jonus, is the Sea actually a 'she'?

No. and Neither is God a 'he'. I was just making the point that God is referred to in scripture in a masculine way.

Jonus
    Whatever happened to peace on earth?

smeghead
    i think the masculine thing is entirely for convenience-like i'll say policeman even if it's a woman, stewardess even if it's a man. but also maybe convention takes a part, like policemen were traditionally men. do you think it has something to do with the fact that (correct me if i'm wrong) but pretty much all the books -if not all- were written by men?
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

In many ways the Bible is misogynistic. After all, it was Woman who brought Sin into the world.

Quote Originally Posted by AbdoRinbo
    In many ways the Bible is misogynistic. After all, it was Woman who brought Sin into the world.
    No she didn't!! :P It was the serpent that tempted her. Adam was just as guilty as Eve.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

Of course, but a lot of Catholics and Protestants will tell you exactly that. I think it's stupid.

Christian morality in Protestant American, it's always been mysoginistic.

In fact, a lot of religions seem to undermine women.

Ever Benevolent and Wise
    You can worship me anytime you want Ab... :P I know you need to cleanse yourself...

Hail Mary!

Den is a pagan princess.

Of course, that's a classic euphemism for 'dirty hippy'.

OK, I had to post this as a matter of principle. . . .

"Cooperation among men leads to dangerous things - like progress, and the Tower of Babel, where men come ever too close to God. He complains, "Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; and nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them." This complaint is essentially the same as he had with Adam. God wants badly to keep Man in his subservient place. Otherwise who would worship him? So he scatters the people and confuses their language. The moral of this story is: two heads are more dangerous than one, and a group of active minds is the devil's workshop. God must hate the computer age, and especially the Information Superhighway.

If late one night you're tapping at the keyboard, and get jolted by ten thousand volts sending you flying across the room, don't say you were never warned."

Heh, intimidating.

smeghead
    I've only read the part of the bible saying that woman should be considered as inferior to men in churches-so they're not supposed to preach. Sometimes it refers to things that could be interpreted as sexist, but it's not as bad as ppl make it out to be.

As for that thing abdo posted up.

God wants people to know their place and stay there. But only someone completely ignorant of the power of God would compare the internet to stuff that God's done, say.. the creation of the universe.
    Nothing that any person's done remotely compares, so I don't think much of the 'power of man'
    Tower of Babel. *shrug*
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast