Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Mom, I put a couple of people in Hell today.

i agree that the secular symbols of the Christian holidays are not theological and i believe they shouldn't necessarily be observed. They are and that's part of our culture and society. There really isn't a way around it. Observing a bunny rather than the resurection of the Lord Jesus Christ is, in my opinion, wrong. I do agree with you on that aspect...BUT...well...wait...uuummmmmm...maybe I don't get everything you mean about "religious doctrine." Are you saying that observing Christian holidays are not morally right b/c they aren't mentioned in the Bible? If that is what you're saying...I don't believe that. The angels, wise men, and shepherds all oberved and celebrated the birth of Jesus. Why can't we carry on that aspect of it? In my family we observe Jesus' birth not the happy jolly man. I think there is a difference. Most Christians do not observe the Passover. B/c it doesn't apply to us as Christians. We weren't the chosen ppl passed over!

Listen I would love to talk more but I have to get up early tomorrow morning for a pep rally at my school. I'm in the band so I have to go. Also I have a late football game friday night...Saterday is my birthday party and Sunday is my birthday...so I won't be getting on this weekend! Sorry! I'll check Monday afternoon...if possible! TTYL!
    :Chardata the Fire Mage:

Out of the darkness I come...
    watch the flames engulf my body,
    watch the flames consume your mind...
    there is no way to break my trance...
    your mind is lost in the flames...
    my flames.
    Oh, my beautiful flames!

Quote Originally Posted by Chardata
    Listen I would love to talk more but I have to get up early tomorrow morning for a pep rally at my school. I'm in the band so I have to go. Also I have a late football game friday night...Saterday is my birthday party and Sunday is my birthday...so I won't be getting on this weekend! Sorry! I'll check Monday afternoon...if possible! TTYL!
    Good, that gives me a chance too. I'm taking 4 literature courses and have quite a bit of reading to do. But I'll try to get it in before Monday. Dosen't it sound like we're all making excuses?
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

yeah it does but it's the truth...right!? 8) I'm at school right now getting ready for the game. So much work. I have three books i'm reading right now for english so i totally understand! TTYL!

my flames.
    Oh, my beautiful flames!

Geez, with the big game coming up, you must be exhausted . . .

About the whole who wants which holidays abolished matter, I would think a smart Atheist would NOT want the holidays abolished for the simple reason that it's a holiday! Everyone like holidays! Especially ones with presents.
    "God is a concept by which we measure our pain." - John Lennon

I'm so sorry! I forgot to bring the verses with me! (I know, I know, more excuses ) My husband keeps hogging our computer, so I was going to wait to use the University library this morning, but I'm not great at remembering book, chapter and verse, so sorry, I'll have to get it to you tommorrow. (hopefully tonight if Leo lets me steal the computer for a few minutes!)
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

nice, very nice. Yeah, i was tired...still am...but school has started so i have to put my sleepiness aside. It's all good. We lost the football game...our team is so bad. They always loose. The band bets against them on how badly we are going to loose. I got some candy b/c i was right...they lost. It's all good! The band is good though! We are rated top 30 in the state of Texas (marching) and top 100 in the nation (concert)! Cool hu?

my flames.
    Oh, my beautiful flames!

Ok, for my first passage, (don't worry I only have 3)

Colossians 2:13-17
    13When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. 15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
    16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

This along with my previous passage shows that it is not agreeable with the Bible to celebrate religious holidays. Christ and his teachings are all we need.

Romans 4:5
    One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

This is a verse that should explain to you why it is wrong to bind special days into religious doctrine. If you want to make a day more special than another, don't try to enfore it on someone else.

2 John 1:9
    Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.

There is a greek word (I don't have my translation with me) for 'runs ahead.' From what I can remember, it can be likened to a target with a bullseye. If you shoot above that target, you just missed it (obviously). In other words, if you run ahead and try to do and add all kinds of things to please God, but haven't just kept to His teaching, it's to no avail.

Here is a site that will help explain a little about Christmas, http://www.padfield.com/1993/christms.html and I can e-mail you some info on Easter as well if you'd like. Did you know that the reason we have the Bunny is because of the goddess Eastre of fertility? She was worshipped in the springtime by the pagans and rabbits were sacred to her, why? Because of their famous ability to make more rabbits!

Alright, Shea, got it. I'll quote a passage from the book of 'Seinfeld':

'I'm convinced that God is out to get me.'

'I thought you said you said you didn't believe in God.'

'Well, I do for the bad stuff.'

-- George and his psychologist

Heh . . . I love that; George is the best.

lol, Seinfeld was the only sitcom I ever could sit down to watch.

I wonder if people do only truly believe in God 'for the bad stuff'. . . .

As a mass of people, it can seem like that, look at what happened right after 9-11. But I guarantee you that there are many, many chistians who pray and thank God simply for the lovely day!

i agree with shea. You also have to remember...alot of ppl get caught in the trap of relying on God just for thier own selfish needs. That is part of human nature...i'm guilty of it...and i'm sure many others are too. That's why i work hard to rely on God for every aspect of my life...not just the bad or the good. :P

my flames.
    Oh, my beautiful flames!

Like Rinbo, I don't believe that Christianity is latent in nature. And for those who've never come to experience it, what then when they die?

Shea, did you ever see the episode of 'Seinfeld' in which Elaine's boyfriend (I think his name was 'Puddy') got all dressed up in New Jersey Devil's fan makeup and dress and beat on that old Catholic priest's car, screamin': 'Yeah, man! we're the Devils!', sending him into a coma?

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast