Thread: Stephen King's Dark Tower series

Stephen King's Dark Tower series

I'm about to drop $150 on this series. I hear it's a very very good series and being that I'm a SK fan (of is older works up until The Dark Half and his wonderful short stories) I'm wanting to pick up his "work of a lifetime". What your thoughts on books 1-7?
    No man should die without first reading the world's greatest literature.

Brilliant series. Definately King's magnum opus and that is saying something. I consider it among the top 5 fantasy/sci-fi series of all time. The books just keep getting better as the story progresses. It is fascinating to see King's evolution as a writer and the consequent progression and degradation in his writing over the course of 30 odd years.

In short: A must read for any speculative fiction enthusiast.

I did not like the first one, when I read it. I thought it was to much like the adventure "boy-books" you could buy when I was a child. Then I kept on reading the series and I understood that that was part of the point. This is an experiment with fiction that uses a certain style, almost but not really like a satire. I do not know how to describe it. Not completly a satire King uses the style to describe the character, and the style and the character grows and gain more depth later on.

If you can, try to get hold of the versions with illustrations by Dave McKean, published by the Penguin Group. The artwork is amazing.

( for a taste of McKeans artwork , check this online gallery: http://www.mkgallery.com/artists/mckean/mckean.html The pictures in the books are coloured , though. I like his coloured work better. )
    Last edited by Isagel; 06-01-2005 at 01:55 PM.
    "Man was made for joy and woe;
    And when this we rightly know
    Through the world we safely go" Blake