Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crime and Detective Novels

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Crime and Detective Novels

After starting to discuss Agatha Christie with Nightshade, I realised that we haven't had a related thread in the recent past.

Who is your favorite crime/mystery writer and books? If enough authors are suggested, maybe we can have a poll
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Agatha Christie, Dick Francis, Jack Higgins, Colin Forbes umm whats his name the Dirk Pitt books (havent read those in years) my introduction to modern adult literature at age of 9 was Colin Forbes the Sisterhood!

Mary Roberts Rinehart avialablefree on the Gutenberg and recently Joanna Fluke (They are a bit like Evanonvich actually you might like them Sher).
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Conan Doyle, of course, his Sherlock Holmes serie is a masterpiece, and unparalelled by any of his sucessors IMO.

Agatha Christie's Poirot, and G. K. Chesterton's Father Brown (along with The Man Who Was Thursday) are good choices also.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

U2aholic
    Conan Doyle and EAPoe. Detective stories are amazing because they show the psychology and psyche of people. They are an infinite labyrinth in which it's difficult not only for the protagonists but also for the readers to find themselves. Also Borges wrote very good detective stories, maybe more metaphysical. I also sometimnes like reading D.L. Sayers' stories, although they are quite simple when compared to for example Conan Doyle.
    In dreams begin responsibilities.

Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes remains my favorite literary creation to this day.

Nancy Drew!!!!!
    100,000 lemmings can't be wrong. ~heard from a friend
    Life is the first gift, love is the second, understanding the third. ~ Marge Piercy
    Earth's crammed with heaven, and every common bush afire with God;
    but only he who sees takes of his shoes. ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Agatha Christie is good. But I particularly adore Nero Wolfe by...by...*can't find my books* ...by Rex Stout if I'm not wrong. His assistant is just lovely
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Blog Entries
    The Sherlock Holmes serie is great, one of my fav...I'm not big on crime series but I did buy a book a few months with short stories by many authors, collected by Alfred Hitchcock called 'Death can be beautiful', it's great, everybody in it get away with murder.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

I absolutely love the short stories of Edgar Allan Poe, such as Murders In The Rue Morgue and The Purloined Letter, but, for me, nothing quite dominates over Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.

does Crime and Punishment fit in the cathegory? I thought we were talking of Agatha Christie kind of stuff... lol if you think about it, in general you dont know who is the murder while in C&P you know it from the beginning... it does have characters of detective style but it is so unique that it has much more...

I see your point, Koa . . . hmmm, difficult to say, as I think it really depends on opinion. Truly, Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment does have elements and 'crime' and 'detective' work, but not so much mystery as Agatha Christie and Edgar Allan Poe, for example.
    Similarly, however, all definitely fit the category of psychological thrill-like stories, but, whether, 'crime' and/or 'detective' works, I think may have a degree of subjectivity.

well the fact is, cathegories are just something unclear and often useless... but the point is, even if they might have some things in common, to me Agatha Christie and Dostoevsky are just too different to be in the same cathegory... so I was thinking as crime stuff as something intended as detective story in the Agatha Christie sense... Then of course you may see it differently and be able to include Crime&Punishment in the same group as Agatha Christie...after all borders of cathegories are not easily definable nor static...

Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes remains my favorite crime-and-detection genre creation to this day.

All time favorite crime/detective author would have to be Mickey Spillane. If your looking for something along the lines of shot first ask question later crime novels, then Mickey is your man.

Books: The Killing Man, I The Jury, etc..
    Any and all of his works.

definitely my favourite is agatha christie and her most famous creation, hercule poirot.i think hercule poirot put much more attention on peole than on the details of the case itself. and the research into human nature,in my opinion, is the essence of detective stories. moreover, the suspects in the book of agatha christie will always be on the stage from the very beginning, while the criminals in sherlock holmes adventures often pop up suddenly, with a name that is never mentioned before. i like chesterton very much too. he has got an utterly different style from agatha chritie, but the subtle humour , the wisdom, and the religious atmosphere in the book have never failed to absorb me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast