Thread: Silas Marner

Anonymous

...um not quite

Altuough i agree with you on the issue of how this is a great piece of liturature, i would rather you not be mislead about Mary Evans' past and the things she did. Try looking it up. it isnt that pretty of a picture. She also did not show the importance of Christian behavior in Silas Marner. From what i have observed and read, her intentions were completely different. Mary Evans hated chrisitianity, and in fact most religion. And that shows in Silas Marner.

Mark Teran

Silas Marner

I have a 14 yr. old daughter who once asked me "what female authors have you read." At the time I had been limited to the classic authors<br>from the 19th century who were men - for during the 19th century men were <br>the ones who were published. My favorites include War and Peace(Leo Tolstoy),Les Miserables(Victor Hugo),Brothers Karamazov(Fyodor Doskovieski), Moby Dick(Hermann Mellville), and now Mary Evans(George Elliot's)Silas Marner.<br><br>To say that she was capable of expressing the same lessons on human nature and the importance of kind Christian behavior(reacurring themes in all classics)as well as these other masters-is to finally allow her true name to shine in the light of the history of great literature.<br><br>Mary Evans!! May she be watching us read her great works!