Thread: Silas Marner- Better than the Potter books

MJS

No Subject

Harry Potter comes nowhere near Silas Marner--but you are comparing apples and oranges when you put them together. In the realm classed as "modern children's literature" the Harry Potter books are well-written (and I didn't think they were boring). But, when you put them next to classical literature, they definitely lose their edge. <br><br>I wouldn't go so far as to say every kid deep down would prefer Silas Marner. It has a fairly mellow plot compared to the adventure of the Harry Potter books--the thing I like about Silas Marner is its style and imagery, not its storyline. But, I would say that every kid deep down would prefer a classic piece of literature, once exposed to it. My favorite book when I was younger was the Count of Monte Cristo--I think that book would have beat out Harry Potter any day.

Rob Smith

Silas Marner- Better than the Potter books

I have to say that the silas marner novel must be the best book in the world. i started reading it for my english coursework and since then i have read the novel 18 times! yes 18! however, i still want to read it over and over again. i had a huge argument with my english teacher who insisted that the harry potter books were the best books for children. however, i disagree and think that deep down every child would by far prefere to get sillas marner in their christmas stocking rather than those boring harry potter stories. <br>i am looking forward to tommorow, as i am getting the silas marner film on DVD. i can't wait. i will be watching it all day long. i think i will stop writing now, as i feel an urge to finish reading chapter 3 again.<br><br>