Thread: Tess

RJ

Tess

I have to read this for my English AS course, but I'm only about half way through. I only undertsand about half of the stuff I've read, even after watching the movie. Hardy uses sentenses with flourishing descriptions, paragraphs that don't push the story forwards, and more foreshadowing than you can shake a stick at. If you don't read such heavy classics as this, then you are going to have some trouble with this. The themes are ok, some are very Biblical though, which reflects the time he was writing in but now, when religion isn't taken so seriously by some, it's hard for them to understand the meaning.<br><br>But the book so far is alright. If you have a choice between this and Great Expectations, go with Great Expectations. This is a hard upwards slog at the best of times. Only read if you want the challenge.<br><br>RJ xxx

Lightbulb theme

great expectations? Tess and great expectations are based on two completely different themes.you can't compare them.Only a person with a good language and some feelings can read and appreciate Tess of the D'Urberville.I agree It's a challenging novel.

April, come she will... scruffy_danny's Avatar
    Interestingly enough i thought Tess is one of the finest novels around its era. I disagree with the idea that it is in fact hard to read - personally i found it much more easier to read than a book such as Great Expectations. I think one really has to delve deep in to the setting hardy has written. The whole idea of the story being religious, making biblical referances really paints the picture of where it is set. Hardy wanted us to really get a feeling of it and i think that is what makes the story so romantic.

Hardy and religion

Don't forget Hardy was actually agnostic, the religious themes he uses communicate a code of morality or ethics. He is attempting to assert that morality is independant of any recognised religious structure. Many people were turning away from religion during the industrial movement of the 19th century. In the absence of a religious institution people had to find other forms of guidance. Hardy urges people to create individualised ethics to live by, morality is dependant on the circumstances in which an individual lives. Tess' purity remains intact as she does not wilfully participate in sin.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I think Hardy is urging his readers to question the set values, especially those have been imposed by religions. It is easy to consider Tess' acts sinful; however, if we look at the events leading her actions, we cannot help sympathising with her. Is it her sin really or of those who 'pushed' her that way?

To me, Hardy seems like against all kinds of stiffening rules of social mechanisms. Let those be religions or class divisions. He himself suffered due to these and, naturally, developed a dislike for them and it is easy to find incidences of his bitterness in his novels.

Tess can be an easy read or rather a difficult one; depending on how you would like to read it. It has the makings of a romantic novel, in which you can find everything: a beautiful, poor girl, cunning rich man, undeserving lover, murder, revenge and lotsa lotsa tears! Or you can look into reasons and circumstances it was written and try to have an understanding of Hardy's motives. In either case, it is a good read although not one of my favorites.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I have always loved Hardy's works. His themes, much like his poems, are often "Satires of Circumstance" and situations that evolve because of fate or particular choices. Choice and fate are big issues in his novels. Fate led Tess to fall asleep at the reins, killing their horse. Fate led to her father hearing about what they believed were rich relatives. She went, feeling it was her responsibility. But fate also put her into the hands of Alec. She chose to ride with him that night, in the chase, instead of taking her chances with walking home with disgruntled co-workers. If the parson had kept his mouth shut, if the horse hadn't died, she would be safe and sound at home, at her parents cottage. She chose to kill Alec, not run away. But her innocence always seems to remain intact. She was raped, it was not her choice. She told her husband the truth, and he abandoned her. Killing someone who harmed her seemed almost justified, in Hardy's eyes, etc.

As for religion, I think he does a remarkable job, especially in this novel, of balancing insitution vs. natural belief, and old beliefs and superstitions. Also see Return of the Native for this theme. I love his stuff!

Can I ask if what is the General Theme of Tess?

Romania; actually...somewhere between Shakespeare and modern poets
    I think that Tess loved Angel Clare too much and this brought her death. You know, Hardy writes in the book something like this: ,,Tess loved Angel[...] and even he would have appeared with a gun in his hands, she wouldn't have doubt that he is the one who protects her''. Well, I think that we could consider this ,,blind love'', even ,,blind fate''(which is proper to Hardy's works), because her love for Angel approaches to a patological love. It's not human. And this goes to her death. What do you think?

pondering . . .
    Tess is one of my favourite novels and I find it fairly hard to see that it is a challenging book to read, Hardy uses every possible trick to move the story along anf therefore help the reader. A prime example is his use of the landscape. Each time Tess moves to a different stage in her life, the scenery also changes. For example Talbothays represents a new start for her, so her first view of the area is one of fertile, lucious leas. Hardy's description even makes a simple road have a huge impact on the readers understanding. There is also a recurring use of colours, particularly red and green. Green for oppurtunity Red for disaster. (so the colour of Alec D'Urbervilles house is red etc) This could also be seen as good and evil. I had to write a gcse essay on tess recently and I was truly in my element. There are so many different themes and meanings in the book but one piece of advice I would give is to be certain to focus on only one of Hardy's techniques, when choosing an essay title, such as the way he uses landscape to further the story, otherwise there is just TOO much to say.
    'What you believe is wrong. My opinion is fact'
    Ivan Foul

'I will die unavenged, but let me die' she said 'Thus, thus it pleases me to go beneath the shadows.'

]'Most of our imports come from overseas'
    George Bush

well,tess is the most astounding novel i ve ever read.hardy has proved his superiority .this is a fabulous novel.a real treat to read.