Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's so good about Shakespeare anyway?

what u know about shakespeare

You need to look a little deeper

You're viewing Shakespeare through the prism of modern culture -- which is your first problem. Shakespeare did something with drama, at the time, that few -- is any -- had done before. He took concepts, mostly already established works, and presented them in away that appealed to all. Shakespeare influences much of what you read today. It's hard to see this looking back, after the fact. Shakespeare’s genius goes much deeper than a clever plot. Like a symphony, Shakespeare created works of true depth, layer after layer of meaning all coming together to establish a common theme. Shakespeare was very simply, in a word, clever. Only but few have even come close to matching Shakespeare when it comes to the command of language and the manipulation of it.

I think you are really just stumbling over the language. I am in my 50s. When I was about 12, I read my first Shakepeare play, and
    our 6th grade class performed it. It happened to be "Hamlet". The language barrier was unbearable for a bunch of 12 year olds,
    but because we were *acting* it out, we came to understand the story. And we saw what a great story it was.
    In high school, I was *forced* to read a number of other works, Macbeth, Midsummer Night's Dream, and many others I can't remember.
    I hated them all. The language of Shakespeare's time is darn hard for we 21st century Americans to understand.

But the stories... ahhhhh, the stories really are great. Force your way through the language barrier.

Fast forward 20 years.
    One day in 1994, I went to the movies with my children to see Disney's newest creation, "The Lion King".
    Right about the time the evil brother, Scar, kills King Mufasa, I sat there with delight realizing, "Wow! This is HAMLET!"

And that, sir, is why Shakespeare is so great - because he wrote stories so interesting and so clever, 500 years ago,
    that people are still "borrowing" them now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123