Thread: bias

Unregistered

bias

I thought that the topic of this book was too controversial. I mean, Dante put the prophet Mohammad (pbuh) in Hell. Christianity and Islam all branched out of the same tree. I can't see how you people liked it.

Just because he put someone he deemed suit in hell, doesn't mean it's not a great piece of literature. Mohammad did not believe in Jesus Christ as the true Son of God, so because of Christian beliefs Mohammad would be sentenced to hell. Dante was a Christian, and he got it right on where to put people for the most part.
    Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically.

- Lady Chatterley's Lover

Merry Christmas!

Dante put a lot of people in hell besides Mohammed...Virgil is someone who he respected a great deal but he was born before Christianity so he couldn't be in Heaven, the best he could get to was Purgatory. Let us not forget Dante also placed a pope in hell because he believed this particular pope did not serve the church. If a pope (whose job is to serve Chrisitianity) can end up in Hell for not serving properly it makes sense that anyone outside of Chrisitianity would end up in Hell. I'm not saying it's right but at least he is consistent.

Somewhere between reality and creativity... Whether East or West, living at the SEA suites me best!
    Blog Entries

Pondering Dante

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I thought that the topic of this book was too controversial. I mean, Dante put the prophet Mohammad (pbuh) in Hell. Christianity and Islam all branched out of the same tree. I can't see how you people liked it.
    Dante is absolutely controversial. His work is BOTH a literary masterpiece AND a political statement. Personally, I believe he used his ability as a writer/artist to push the margin and deal with the political/religious madness of that day. While Dante was a Christian, he believed entirely in the separation between church and state and had issues with any religious leader who abused people in the name of God. We cannot take his work personally, but rather view it as a literary masterpiece within a framework of historical perspective. That's my take anyway...
    Our passions are not too strong, they are too weak. We are far too easily pleased.

~C.S. Lewis

http://michellerichmond.com/fictionattic/?page_id=9

Somewhere between reality and creativity... Whether East or West, living at the SEA suites me best!
    Blog Entries

Yep! I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by ambrotos_aubade View Post
    Dante put a lot of people in hell besides Mohammed...Virgil is someone who he respected a great deal but he was born before Christianity so he couldn't be in Heaven, the best he could get to was Purgatory. Let us not forget Dante also placed a pope in hell because he believed this particular pope did not serve the church. If a pope (whose job is to serve Chrisitianity) can end up in Hell for not serving properly it makes sense that anyone outside of Chrisitianity would end up in Hell. I'm not saying it's right but at least he is consistent.
    ...and excellent point.
    Our passions are not too strong, they are too weak. We are far too easily pleased.

~C.S. Lewis

http://michellerichmond.com/fictionattic/?page_id=9