Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: one of the best books I've ever read :)

Edd

Is that possible?

You have read Dante's Inferno at age 5!? Is that even possible? I have read well enouph within the book, and when I summarize it to myself, it is close to impossible for a 5 year old to understand that book. Second of all, I don't think a 5 year old would enjoy such a frightening book. A normal 5 year old would be detered by it's complexity and give up reading it. I assume it would require a 12 grade reading level, a 5 year old wouldn't even have 1 grade. Most of 'em can't even read. Althought, could it be that someone read it to you aloud rather than verbatim to yourself? I refuse to believe that a 5-year-old could read such a thing.

Sean Clode

No Subject

I agree with the reply above i read the book in 11th grade and I couldn't understand it without the help of my English teacher so I find it unbelievable that a 5 year old could actually read the book and understand it..

Unregistered

No Subject

Why do you find it so hard to believe that a five-year old child may contain the same intellect as that of a person four times their age. I am in my twenties and my intellect far surpasses many people four times my age (granted, most of them are in diapers and spoon-fed). It is not a matter of age, but it is rather a matter of capacity. Some people may never be capable of understanding Dante. Some people may never be able to read period. Why does youth frighten the aged? Is it because no matter what, it can never be performed over again. In truth, is it that you don't believe a five-year old can read Dante, or is it that it frightens you to believe it to be possible. Then again, the version Kelly read as a child may have been a coloring book.

Unregistered

No Subject

Wow, did you really read that book at age 5? that's amazing! of course, you might be lying, but we would never know...

Edd

Doesn't matter

It doesn't matter! Reading and understanding books requires not only good english(or italian, whatever language your reading it in)skills, it also requires a lot of knowledge about Italian History and some forms of Mythology. So I CANNOT see how a 5 year old child can read such a book. And besides, who in the right mind would make a colouring book out of a book that gives vivid descriptions of HELL, sinners being tortured, gutted and mutilated. It's just not right!! This content is just not suitable for children of such ages! That is why this book is strictly for adults and intellectuals(recommended, rather)

Tara M. Adams

No Subject

It is good to see there are truly people out there, like myself, with a thirst for knowledge that started at an early age - alas, I only started out readin my mother's Herman Hesse books; Dante may have been a bit 'heavy' for me, but I, too, would have found great interest in understanding it!!

Tara

No Subject

I am sorry you wrote to comment on how great it is that Dante's Inferno is on the internet and now you have all of these half-wits accosting you because they doubt you read this book at such an early age - THIS is what I meant when I just wrote that it is good to know there are still some brain cells still alive out there!!

Unregistered

No Subject

Okay, I totally agree with the people who said that it's impossible for a five-year-old to read that book! I'm in 10th grade, and I'm struggling with it, and my five-year-old brother could never even understand if someone read it to him, let alone read it for himself. You must be a genius or something to have read this at age five.

Robert

No

You didn't read Dante's Inferno when you were five, you douche bag.

Jeffrey

No Subject

Anger Management, Robert....don't be accusing that of what we cannot back up without any evidence.

Josh

funny stuff...

I find it hilarious how on a supposed "intellectual" website, it is still possible to find the words "douche bag". I'm definitely proud to be part of the young, intelligent, smart*** group. Just keep preachin it Robert.

Andrew Browne

mob mentality

1) I believe he read it when he was five. This is an ultimately meaningless exchange in one of several billion nearly identical forums, interacting with people you have likely never met, and never will. Why lie?<br><br>2) That being said, those saying they dont believe he read it and understood it at age 5 need only read his original post once more. He didn't say anything about comprehension at age 5. All he said is that he read it, he made no mention of understanding. Others latched that on afterwards. It is highly unlikely that a 5 year old can understand the text as a complete, intertwined package because the child would not have access to historical knowledge that illuminates parallels and other themes, etc.<br><br>3) Understanding is another word that no one here has bothered to define. Understanding is a personal thing. Regardless of how you view the text and what conclusions you draw from it, you have understanding. I submit that the only person who can "understand" the original text as "intended" is Dante himself. Every single person who reads anything applies their own meanings and thoughts to the work. Multiple and alternate meanings can be easily drawn from a work where an author insists on one, certain meaning. The study of literature is all about personal interpretation and learning to throw away the author's opinion of his own work.

God

No modesty

Yeh? Well I read Dante's inferno when I was still in the womb ! I then went on to discover electricity, and was in fact the first man (I mean baby) in space. <br><br>Seems to me anyone smart enough to read such a work or even to take a passing interest in it is also smart enough to figure out that a 5 year old is barely capable of reading Noddy and Big Ears without assistance. But it takes someone with the social awareness of a 5 year old to make such a claim in the first place.<br><br>Would you look at that, goldden nuggets in my nappy (sorry, diaper)

Unregistered

No Subject

I read Dante's Inferno when I was six, and I got some understanding out of it. Im reading it again now, and theres much more than what I previously saw, but its nto impossible for a kid to do it.

Natalie

No Subject

Oh look how patronizing Jeffrey is . . . too bad he has no point . . . no one read Dante when they were five. If they did they'd have better things to do by now than brag about it on some internet message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast