Thread: Reply to first post

Wheat Williams

Reply to first post

1) Words run together is an artifact of optical character recognition (OCR) which is the process by which the pages of old books are put on a scanner and converted to text by the computer.<br><br>The only solution to preventing the words being run together is hand-editing, and this is very time consuming. No doubt those who run this Web site would rather devote their time to putting up more books rather than putting up far fewer books but making sure each one is 100% perfect.<br><br>The posting of this book has excellent quality OCR; the best I've seen.<br><br>2) As far as the phrenology reference and its alleged racism: This is a science fiction book from the 1860s. Of course it is going to contain references to disproven scientific theories! The book makes favorable discussions of alchemy, for crying out loud. If your mission is to re-publish a book in an exact facsimilie of its 1870 edition, you can't go updating and correcting the science! That would be stupid. If you allege that phrenology is a recist philosophy, then so be it! This book mentioned it, and history needs to record that fact.

Words Running Together

Greetings,
    The last chapter, last paragraph of "Journey" has several run on words.
    I wanted to point this out as a matter of editing to further enhance the already good quality of this site.

Is there any way to help with editing the English or English translations on this site? I read constantly and would offer my services as a way of thanking you for keeping the site functioning.

Please use the email entered with my new registration to let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I do not have much time during the week but can certainly contribute on the weekends.

Perhaps there are other editing chores that need to be done?
    Later,

Peter