Thread: No Subject

Unregistered

No Subject

I must say that I quite agree with this comment. The death of Sibyl Vane is not entirely Dorian's fault, although, he had a large part in it. If he had not been so utterly heartless to her, I believe that she would not have killed herself. Poor Sibyl.

RmK

No Subject

Sorry, did I come to the wrong site? Or, perhaps I just clicked on the wrong link. Is this the forum where we just summerize the plot? Okay, first of all, how could you DISAGREE with this post? Its impossible! "Dorian does not kill the woman, she commits suicide after he breaks her heart." YES! VERY GOOD! Im glad that we have read the cliff notes on the piece, and can post such incredibly wise statements (only condensed into a horribly structured statement which kills all the beauty of what Wildes trying to convey)! Why not write about what her death could symbolize, and perhaps even make a connection to another author who wrote a work which touched upon the very same subject? Why just summerize?

Unregistered

No Subject

I agree with anomynous, I don't believe Dorian is responsible

Unregistered

No Subject

I agree with this last comment, everyone knows that Sibyl killed herself and everyone knows that Dorian was a huge prick toward her before she died which pretty much caused the death. If your going to post a comment about something, at least try to find meaning in what that part of the story meant.

SM

No Subject

I think people have a right to post whatever they want on the subject of this book. If people choose to 'summarize' then it's their choice!. What makes anyone think they have the right to judge? This isn't some kind of class and no one here is a prof!. Let people have their say, however 'horribly structured' their sentences might be, where did it say these posts were being graded? Just a thought!

PK

No Subject

Dorian does not kill the woman, she commits suicide after he breaks her heart. Yet the thought that she killed herself because of him leaves him feeling as though he had physically killed her himself.

Akaruihi
    I agree with PK.

Blog Entries
    I think there are two reasons for the inclusion of Sybil Vane's suicide. Wilde wanted to show there was still some compassion and room for guilt in Dorian; and it furthers the plot because the death of Sybil leads to her brother trying to kill Dorian.
    Dostoevsky gives me more than any scientist.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein