Thread: No Subject

David

Hope going to 221B

Interesting question, and one of the many delightful inconsistencies and questionable items in the Holmes canon. For instance, where was Pope's Court, how many Moriarty brothers were there and why were they all named James, is Dr. Watson's first name John or James, why was the swamp adder able to kill Dr. Roylott instantly, yet leave Miss Stoner alive enough to give the clue "Speckled Band", who was Mrs. Warren, where on Baker Street was Number 221, because in Holmes' day the street didn't run quite that long. And a real great conundrum, read "The Musgrave Ritual" and try to draw a map of the house and grounds as described in the ritual......the list goes on and on.<br><br>These stories are really great fun. I discovered them in my carefree teens after being a fan of Rathbone and Bruce in the movies on late night t.v., and still enjoy them now as a grandfather in my 50's. <br><br>Read them, enjoy them and grow old with them. They've been read and loved for a long, long time, and will be for a long, long time to come.<br>

Unregistered

No Subject

Why does Jefferson Hope go to 221B Baker Street the 2nd time not suspecting<br>a trap? The first time (wedding ring) he expected one and sent a friend<br>that posed as an old women. The friend detected Holmes and escaped, which<br>comfirmed Hope's theory. Surely when heard the address 221B for the second<br>time in so many day's he must know it's a trap.

The first time he exected the trap because he knew the ring had been left at the seen of the killing. He may have thought the police were using a normal street address to set up a trap and therefore the caution. Nevertheless nothing happened to the friend the first time therefore suspition was cleared. If thit is unsatisfactory I can state about three more reasons but right now do not have the time.

but for you david I will only answer the questions I know the answers to.
    why was the swamp adder able to kill Dr. Roylott instantly, yet leave Miss Stoner alive enough to give the clue "Speckled Band" The amount of time a person lives after a snake bite depends on were the snake bites and how long it takes the venom to get to the heart. If the snake bit the doctor in the chest he would have died sooner then say he was bit in on the leg.

on Baker Street was Number 221, because in Holmes' day the street didn't run quite that long
    There was no 221 Baker Street it was fictonal just like Holmes is fictional therefore there could never have even been a Holmes' day.

Jefferson Hope wasn't an idiot. When his friend was followed the first time he must have thought that Holmes/the police were on to him. Perhaps he thought that suspicion was all on the friend, and not on himself, and he came thinking he was simply going to be questioned as to his fare, but that still doesn't quite add up. I'm as confused as you are....