Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A mystery wrapped in an enigma

Grand Equal of Heaven

A mystery wrapped in an enigma

Who once described something as a "mystery wrapped in an enigma"?
    I think it's Winston Churchill, and is he referring to the mysterious life of Jane Austen or the history of Russia as a country? I think the former and my father argues the latter. Can someone enlighten us by any chance?

mystery wrapped in an enigma?

is that a riddle impossible to be solved?

:o

A mystery wrapped in an enigma is an English expression that usually means that there are layers of mysteries or secrecy obscuring a central problem that need to be worked out until you get to the core of the thing.

I have no idea where it originated, but it wouldn't surprise me if Churchill coined it. He was quite the wordsmith.

Grand Equal of Heaven
    Thanks Blackadder, I'd definitely agree it was Churchill, but I can't find if he was talking about Russia or Jane Austen (two completely unrelated topics in themselves!). It's actually irritating me now, lol, I watched two documentaries recently, one on each subject, which is where I heard the quote. But I got confused cos you know how narrator voices on these documentaries all sound the same? So the audio playback is obsolete...maybe one day...

"Perhaps there's more to Newman than meets the eye."

"No, there's less."

"Maybe he's an enigma, a mystery wrapped in a riddle."

"He's a mystery wrapped in a Twinkie."

-- Elaine and Jerry, 'Seinfeld'.

Ever Benevolent and Wise
    Abdo's obsession with `Seinfeld' proves to us there's contemporary use of this `quote' or theorem...

I've seen it expressed in everything from political terms to eastern philosophical terms. One thing I love about it, it's open to subjective interpretation, much like the arabic quote I have in my sigline. It's a very personal statement for me.

Geez, den, I feel like I know you already.

I'm going with Elaine and Jerry on that one. Larry David is a genius!
    "God is a concept by which we measure our pain." - John Lennon

Did you know that he was the voice of Mr. Steinbrenner, George's boss? Heh, it's funny how most people assume he is this tortured recluse who sits in a dark corner crafting intricately pieced comic plots, when in reality he is a fairly good-humored fellow. What I wouldn't give to have his ability to think up story-lines; I'd just sit and write all day, never get bored.

I totally agree. I love his show Curb Your Enthusiam as well. He reminds me of George actually.
    "God is a concept by which we measure our pain." - John Lennon

Grand Equal of Heaven
    I've watched about 50 episodes of Seinfeld and I can't remember what any of them were about...I just remember stuff...and situations...and Kramer...

Abdo, were you joking about Larry David's ability to think up storylines, or were you serious? You know, cos it's the show about nothing and all... It would be so fun to write though, I agree.

I was dead serious. There isn't a single episode of 'Seinfeld' that didn't make me laugh out loud.

Jeez, I wish they'd put out the DVDs already.

Yes

Yeah, it was winstone churchil talking about Russia. It was during a WW2 speech where he was calling to help Russia during the german siege on Moscow :o

Grand Equal of Heaven
    THANK YOU! Hooray, now I know.
    Even though you've proved me wrong against my dad, and I look a fool because I was so stubborn and proud in my guess, thank you.

Finally! I just heard they're gonna put the 'Seinfeld' DVDs out sometime next year.

Heigho! Heigho!
    Heigho! Heigho!
    Heigho! Heigho!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast