Thread: H. Rider Haggard

H. Rider Haggard

How about the classic adventure novels of Haggard: King Solomon's Mines, She, Allan Quatermain?

With King Solomon's Mines he started a new genre of 'lost worlds'. By critics he is not considered as the first class writer. But the novel was very popular among readers and, I think, it still is. People like to have some fun when they read novels. The hard life and problems of the world are not so attractive to them. They have enough of it in their everyday lives. This kind of literature is called the literature of escapism.
    “All" human beings "by nature desire to know.” ― Aristotle
    “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

i was first attracted to haggard in my teens; something about the way his prose structure just flowed captured my love, i might say. so i've read much of his work. not all of it is great, but most is very readable. the african stories are the best, also the continuing adventures of she and allan.

I read many of the novels of H. Rider Haggard when I was younger and still enjoy reading them, 'She' and 'Ayesha: The Return of She' are my favourites, though I like very much those of the Allan Quatermain series too.
    The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure.
    -Sydney J. Harris

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

That’s a good advice. I will try it for sure.