Thread: Ethan Frome or Why Some Classic Novels Are Not Really Good

J. Criswell

No Subject

I think you and God should definately find something different to read. If you're too shallow minded to completely understand the workings of the novel, then I feel real pity for you.

Unregistered

Pathetic

You my friend are just another person who has nothing better to do than ***** and moan about something rather than get over it and make up for the two hours you lost.

Bill Bradwell

Ethan Frome or Why Some Classic Novels Are Not Really Good

It's true, this book is a classic. There is no denying that.<br>I read this book with a friend. His name is God.<br>God did not like the book either. He said it was another of example of white people wallowing in there own sadness and not doing anything about it.<br>I guess I agree with part of that.<br>He's read every book in the world.<br>Ethan Frome is a classic, I already said that. It is true.<br>My father tried to tell me once that all classics are great. I told him that was stupid and that he had not read Ethan Frome yet.<br>Truth is, Ethan Frome is a tragic waste of time. I want my time back.<br>Edith Wharton needs to come back from the dead and give me two hours of my life back. That's how long it took me to read this book.<br><br>I have to admit, however, that at first I was intrigued. Some of the passages at the begginning of the novel are absolutely marvelous and capture so vividly what it is like to have a "crush" on someone.<br>It doesn't get much better than that though.<br>After the 2nd chapter the book dies. So it goes.<br>Ethan is shallow. He's creepy and disturbing.<br>Whartons approach is uneven. She starts the book with heavy sadness, then tells the tale with satire and humor, then raps it up with pretention. There is no steady tone.<br>It's all wishy-washy. So it goes.<br>The ending (I am refering to the attempted suicide by the two 'secret' lovers) is contrived and forced and makes no sense because honestly these two characters don't really love each other. So it goes.<br><br>If you enjoyed this book you may be a literature fan but you don't know doodley-squat about art or living.<br>You might as well lick stone. Or die. So it goes.<br><br>Thank you.