Thread: Anne series

Susan Tirone

Anne - The Continuing Story

I never can understand why movie producers think they can improve on literature. The third movie is a huge disappointment because it departs almost completely from the books! Some of the events, such as Anne's departure for Europe to hunt for Gilbert, and her "living" with her male coworker and the little orphaned boy, are absurd, as is some of the dialogue, such as Anne's saying she would "always think of the boy as theirs" - hers and her coworker's! Anne would NEVER say such a thing. Of course, the timeline is very different from the books as well, since Anne and Gilbert's sons go to WW I, not Gilbert himself; however, that isn't a huge issue. I adore the first two movies but will never watch the third again because it is so stupid.

Annie

Great essay!

I love Anne of Green Gables too! Don't you just love the whole story from beggining to end! Your essay sounded real great!<br><br> Thanks!

Sue

Anne series

To those of you who have not taken the time to read the book series of Anne.....I suggest it swholeheartedly! It is best read outloud, due to all the descriptions in it..........my children and I read it when they were in grade school and it was so much fun! We have such fond memories of our evenings together reading those books. Lavendar Lewis was really one of my favorites.....and Rainbow Valley. The entire book series is delightful and lends much more insight into Anne's world than the movies do, although I thoroughly enjoy the movies also. Except the last one......the one where she and Gilbert marry and the war. I think the writers could have left us with a nicer taste in our mouths and the memories of Anne could have gone a long way to dream about her future with Gilbert. That to me was a poorly written ending to a dream, fairyland world Anne lived in. I would have chosen it to be different and more like the books, which left you with a much more delightful imagination about Anne's future. Do any of you feel the same way? If you haven't watched the Avonlea series, I recommend them highly, as it is such a wonderful series with much more action than the Anne series, although I love her movies. You will need to be sure to watch the first episode to get to know the new characters some of the older faces are portraying though, or it could become confusing to you. It is well worth buying the video's to view them. Best wishes to you all. Sue

Unhappy agree totally

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Tirone View Post
    I never can understand why movie producers think they can improve on literature. The third movie is a huge disappointment because it departs almost completely from the books! Some of the events, such as Anne's departure for Europe to hunt for Gilbert, and her "living" with her male coworker and the little orphaned boy, are absurd, as is some of the dialogue, such as Anne's saying she would "always think of the boy as theirs" - hers and her coworker's! Anne would NEVER say such a thing. Of course, the timeline is very different from the books as well, since Anne and Gilbert's sons go to WW I, not Gilbert himself; however, that isn't a huge issue. I adore the first two movies but will never watch the third again because it is so stupid.
    I agree totally, it is not something that LM Montgomery would have ever written. Also she hated WW1 and when WW2 broke out she took it very hard and even stopped her daily diary....
    The first two movies were very good and in fact, in the first I like the way Matthew died much better...instead of a shock from a bank failure he was able to die right with Anne so they could say goodbye...

I have always hated the third Anne movie as an interpretation of the last few books, as it has completely gone off on its own little tangent which has nothing to do with the actual storylines. I am especially frustrated that they cut out such delightful characters as Leslie, Captain Jim, Susan, Miss Cornelia Bryant, the ladies and societies of both Four Winds and Glen St. Mary, not to mention the Blythe and Meredith children.

That being said, I find it a rather acceptable Period Drama in its own right. While I do not approve of some of the storylines, such as the whole thing Anne has with her co-worker and his baby, I do love the whole Anne/Gilbert relationship, especially when they finally reunite...it was the scene the movie had been working towards, and I found it lived up to the challange beautifully.

In regards to the first two movies, I have found very little to complain about. The first movie was absolutely brilliant, and while the second did have to cut out and condense quite a few of the storylines and characters, I think that it works to a certain exent, and I understand they needed to do it because of time-constraints. The one thing I didn't like was that they got rid of the Widows and Rebecca Dew, not to mention Dusty Miller, Mr Harrison, Paul Irving and Davy and Dora But the budding romance between Anne and Gilbert was beautiful and very tastefully drawn out as close to the book as possible (especially concerning the last scene, even though they weren't in Hester Grey's garden).
    Last edited by Period_Dramas97; 02-14-2012 at 12:23 AM.