Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Left Behind Series

The Left Behind Series

i'm hesitant to post a topic about this book on a literature website, but i'm curious to see if anyone has read the "Left Behind" series, by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. I've read a few books of the series (there are currently 11 in print). In my opinion, the characters are painfully one-dimensional, the dialogue resembles nothing I have ever heard in a social setting, and the plot drags and jerks at random intervals.

The odd thing is that all of these books are very highly rated on amazon.com. I'd be interested to hear other's opinions of these books.

(R.E.L - You were wanting to know if Hemmingway was anti-semitic? These books most definitely are, along with anti-catholic and a slew of other biases.)

i<3left behind series notleftbehind.7's Avatar
    i dont agree. i liked them
    Reading is life, and life is reading. So read.

oh yeah, I was there, I was that kid behind the rock.

Don't go out with the one you like instead of the one you love, leave the one you like and go for the one you love because maybe the one you like will leave you for the one they love.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    I have read excerpts, and I found the writing amazingly bad. I did write better when I was twelve years old, but even then I did not buy into the premise. Besides, everyone knows that the rapture happened in 2003. You notied how many people disappeared, didn't you?

i<3left behind series notleftbehind.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    I have read excerpts, and I found the writing amazingly bad. I did write better when I was twelve years old, but even then I did not buy into the premise. Besides, everyone knows that the rapture happened in 2003. You notied how many people disappeared, didn't you?

is there something wrong with 12 year olds??? and peterL if i must say so myself, not to offend you, even though i dont really care, much, much, much more people will disappear than in just 03. and they wont die like that they will be gone. in a twinkling of an eye. but not by death.
    Reading is life, and life is reading. So read.

oh yeah, I was there, I was that kid behind the rock.

Don't go out with the one you like instead of the one you love, leave the one you like and go for the one you love because maybe the one you like will leave you for the one they love.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    This should be on the religion board. You religion is your business, but it already happened...

laudator temporis acti andave_ya's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A long time ago I read nine of them, got bored, and never finished and have no desire to. Even though I am a Bible-believing Christian, those were just boring books.
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--
    And why the sea is boiling hot--
    And whether pigs have wings."

I've heard of them, and the film adaptations. They sound like a way to deliver very dangerous propaganda.

The Sound of Silence
    Unfortunately, oh god I can't say it......aarrgh!!!!!!! OK deep breath. When I was in high school, I actually read them all. Whew. I'm glad I got that off my chest. I guess confession really does put the mind at ease. However, that may be the wine talking. I knew I shouldn't have had communion too...

Looking back, I haven't the faintest idea why I read them other than of course that I was a self-righteous little bible thumper. To call the charactors "one dimensional" is giving them far too much credit. I've known stick drawings to have better form than the so-called "charactors" created by Tim Lahaye. But then again, I have to admit, at the time I did enjoy them. I must have. For what other reason would one read eleven books of such rubish? Thankfully, however, many books have been read since and have taken the place of any damaging memories or thoughts implanted by those books. Thank you Father Time.
    "You have conquered, and I yield. Yet, henceforward art thou also dead - dead to the World, to Heaven and to Hope! In me didst thou exist - and, in my death, see by this image, which is thine own, how utterly thou hast murdered thyself." E.A. Poe

"It is better to be hurt by the truth, than to be comforted by a lie." - Unknown

Blog Entries
    These were bought and read by me primarily to please my long suffering wife who thought they would be just wonderful to read and enjoy. Years later she is still stuck in Book 3. I finished the 12 but it was unsatisfying journey. Mind you she has never read a Shadow pulp novel or Dashiell Hammett story in her life and probably never will. A more lackluster suspense series with incredible world shattering disasters that mankind just recovers from with a shrug and a computer terminal. The Gospel of the Lord Christ is presented fairly but everything else is shown with the sophistication of an Acme anvil. I cannot recommend these to anyone looking for edification and in my entire life I have never pointed anyone Chrisitan or otherwise to Second Coming literature. I believe the Bible is clear about the timing being a mystery and time spent trying to get to know the Lord is time much better spent then idle star gazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trystan View Post
    I've heard of them, and the film adaptations. They sound like a way to deliver very dangerous propaganda.
    i suppose, according to the dictionary definition, they can be considered propaganda. but in so much as that word pretty much has a major negative connotation to it trystan, would you care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    i suppose, according to the dictionary definition, they can be considered propaganda. but in so much as that word pretty much has a major negative connotation to it trystan, would you care to elaborate?
    I would, but I'm not sure I could avoid going into a forbidden political discussion. I'll just say that what many rapture believers preach is pretty extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Trystan View Post
    I would, but I'm not sure I could avoid going into a forbidden political discussion. I'll just say that what many rapture believers preach is pretty extreme.
    are you saying we'd get into moderator trouble trying to have that conversation? i got dinged the first couple of days i was here when i shared some websites i thought people would be interested in.

curious that this thread should be moved---the left behind series are not religious texts...

From the mountains to the prairies to the oceans white with foam
    Blog Entries
    I just couldn't get into them.
    I'm in love with The Vinegar Man and Mr. Tanner, but be careful, it could just as easily be you.

"If you're going to write you better have somewhere to come from." Flannery O'Connor

Left Behind: Interesting

I have to say that i enjoy reading the Left behind series. The books are very interesting and keep me wanting more.

ésprit de l’escalier DanielBenoit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I cannot stand how the Left Behind series has created some sort of dogma amongst evangelicals that the events described in a FICTIONAL novel are really going to happen, and that is how the world will end.
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    And leave it with a Discontent
    Too exquisite — to tell —
    -Emily Dickinson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVW8GCnr9-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGIvr6WVw4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast