Thread: German original

Lisa Huffaker Gus

No Subject

There's a wonderful edition, in the original German, published by Macmillan, copyright 1962, in New York, edited by T.C. Dunham and A.S. Wensinger. The edition was meant to be used by students-- it has an English introduction, a glossary of Hindu and Buddhist terms, and a complete vocabulary list-- but Hesse's original text is untouched. I don't know if it's still in print. My copy was printed in 1968 (fifth printing). You might try one of the online rare book searches. I highly recommend this edition to any English-speaking reader who wants to read Siddhartha in German. I'm glad to hear you're planning to read it in German! You'll enjoy it thoroughly, I think, and you may be amazed at how much more subtle and beautiful a book it is in German than in English! Read my post entitled "better in German" for more comments on the subject.

Elisa

No Subject

you could try to go on a german website, like www.lycos.de or www.yahoo.de (and nearly all other searchmachines) type in siddhartha under search, and you should find a thousand offerings, some of them also deliver to the whole world!

Unregistered

No Subject

You might find Hesse's Siddhartha in German in University bookstores.

Ben

Give these a chance

I would recommend reading "A Case for Christ." Even if you are not a Christian or you're not even considering Judeo-Christian philosophy, I would hope you can give a book a chance. If that one doesn't do it for you, try "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis. And then there's always the Bible...If you're ever feeling hopeless or lost, give it a shot. Peace.

Adin

German original

Does anyone know where I might be able to locate the original German version of Siddhartha?<br><br>Thanks!