Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314

Thread: Moby!

poppin, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a large print Dostoevsky unless you live in a fairly large city, but if you are okay with reading books online---its been a long time since ive looked to see if they are still here, but litnet used to have a large collection of full text books. I just took a quick peek to see if I could remember the pathway (I couldn't) but maybe with a little more looking you could find the book here.

there is this:

https://openlibrary.org/search?q=cri...ode=everything

and this:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2554

if you are little bit web savvy, there is also file sharing.

and my goodness even this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPGlFXNrlYs&t=27s
    Last edited by bounty; 01-21-2024 at 10:30 AM.

@bounty ~

Thanks for those references.

I do occasionally use those type of sites but always have a hard time with them. My attention drifts, I lose concentration, my eyes easily get tired, then I lose the page I was on, etc. So much easier if I have a hard copy in front of me where I can put notes on the margin and make reference notes that I can get back to and re-read.

But I defo will try to use those that you posted as C & P is one heck of a reading.
    When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent

~ Isaac Asimov

Presently reading Black Cherry Blues, by James Lee Burke. In this one Dave Robicheaux leaves Southern Louisiana and travels to Montana to investigate a murder, and also to defend himself against a murder charge.

***whoops, wrong thread.***
    Last edited by Sancho; 01-22-2024 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Whoops
    Uhhhh...

Food

Just like we enjoy good books, we also enjoy good food. Moby Dick is full of references to food and here's a partial menu of goodies:

meat
    potatoes
    dumplings
    steak
    gin and molasses
    beefsteaks
    clam chowder
    cod chowder
    saline beef
    drumsticks
    alcoholic beverages
    whale steak
    ginger tea
    brandy

then there was: 400,000 lbs. of beef. 60,000 lbs. Friesland pork. 150,000 lbs. of stock fish. 550,000 lbs. of biscuit. 72,000 lbs. of soft bread. 2,800 firkins of butter. 20,000 lbs. Texel & Leyden cheese. 144,000 lbs. cheese (probably an inferior article). 550 ankers of Geneva. 10,800 barrels of beer.

.. and beer, beef, and bread

it appeared that gin and beer were the favorite type of spirits

~ Isaac Asimov

We certainly had a great discussion about Moby Dick.

To me the highlight of the book and our discussion was Father Mapple's message about universal brotherhood. How prescient of Melville to make this declaration so long before it was ever accepted in our society. Bearing in mind that the message was rendered by a black man in the book makes it all the more remarkable.

Ironically, I am listening to Get Together by the Young Bloods in the back ground.

The message remains true and will always be so.

~ Isaac Asimov

Oh yeah. I can't remember enjoying another classic as much as I enjoyed this one. If I had to come up with one standout highlight, I’m not sure I could. I liked the story, the history, the language, the psychology, the character development, and I even liked the cetology. I liked the allegories and the allusions. And of course as you say, Poppin, I liked the forward-looking message of universal brotherhood. By the way, good tune choice. I'll kick in Spirit in the Sky, by Norman Greenbaum, being as religion is always nibbling around the edges of Moby,

https://youtu.be/W2msh0jut2Y?si=PgJGjxXhm-TYZmXT

Or maybe a farewell song since, you know, sailors have a habit of sailing away. So Long Marianne, by Leonard Cohen

https://youtu.be/3XzAjfwQtvM?si=878NWRIxTUwnu5bh
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    A feast for the soul "insular city of the Manhattoes" tugged on my fancy. A yarn of a yearning for the sea of which I can not fathom brother Ishmael's depth, I being a seashore creature at best - my furthest voyage just to the other side of the Golden Gate and back... yet the sea beckons even I.

"By reason of these things, then, the whaling voyage was welcome; the great flood-gates of the wonder-world swung open, and in the wild conceits that swayed me to my purpose, two and two there floated into my inmost soul, endless processions of the whale, and, mid most of them all, one grand hooded phantom, like a snow hill in the air."

Verbose with all the colors of the rainbow. A grand tale, off to peruse the portents in Chapter the 2.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Enjoy the read, Tailor. Or in the words of HST — “Buy the ticket. Take the ride.” I hope you’ll let us know what you think about it along the way.
    Uhhhh...

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314