Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What’cha Reading?

Yeah, I pretty much had a school-boy crush on her from that moment on.
    Uhhhh...

heyyyy, you all missed my wonderfully pertinent "are you familiar with book crossing" question!

Sorry, yep I’ve heard of it, but I haven’t come across it in the wild yet. I do come across unofficial Book Crossings all the time. For instance where I work, in the lounge, there’s what I’d call an unofficial Book Crossing. However due to the nature of guys I work with it’s mostly Tom Clancy novels and police procedurals. Also the aforementioned airport Book Crossings aka The Lost and Found. If you find yourself at an airport with nothing to read, just head over to the L & F and pick out a couple of books for your trip — and then set them free at some other far flung airport.
    Uhhhh...

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No bounty, only wasn´t so sure about the meaning.
    In Germany, I know, they actually have public bookcases. People leave books they don´t want anymore and they are free to take home any books they want. And it works because the Germans are so organized. I have a digital friend that buys so many books, that I'm afraid one day there won´t be any room for herself in her house. But she also regularly sorts these book out, distributing books among her friends and the public bookcases.

Here in Brazil attempts have been also made of leaving books on certain places. Usually it doesn´t work because there aren't enough readers.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

we're in the ballpark but the "book crossing" im a little bit familiar with is more formal. its a web-based organization at which you can register the book you leave out for the public to find, with a directive inside the book to visit the book crossing site and record the find. over time, the book moves around the world and the previous owners can track its course.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    we're in the ballpark but the "book crossing" im a little bit familiar with is more formal. its a web-based organization at which you can register the book you leave out for the public to find, with a directive inside the book to visit the book crossing site and record the find. over time, the book moves around the world and the previous owners can track its course.
    That´s nice, bounty. But does it work?
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

alas, unbeknownst to me, when my high-speed internet automatically downloaded the newest windows updates, my internet explorer either disappeared or otherwise became non-functional. im able to be here via microsoft edge, but all the traditional formatting and coloring of the forum has disappeared. now everything is weird looking and kind of a pain in the hind end!

yes, check out the site danik, bookcrossing.com

ps: might have "fixed" my problem by opening the site in an "in private window."
    Last edited by bounty; 10-13-2023 at 06:13 PM.

We call them street libraries. Yesterday I cleaned an ant's nest out of one. I have gotten some great reads, and also found homes for books that I knew I would never read again.

My problem with the " the book you leave out for the public to find" concept has always been rain. It's whimsical but impractical.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    alas, unbeknownst to me, when my high-speed internet automatically downloaded the newest windows updates, my internet explorer either disappeared or otherwise became non-functional. im able to be here via microsoft edge, but all the traditional formatting and coloring of the forum has disappeared. now everything is weird looking and kind of a pain in the hind end!

yes, check out the site danik, bookcrossing.com

ps: might have "fixed" my problem by opening the site in an "in private window."
    Lol! Welcome to the world of advanced electronic technology, bounty. Probably your PC downloaded a more recent version of windows, 7, 10 or even 11.. And dear internet explorer has been replaced by windows edge.

Just an alert about a problem I had with litnet months ago, and which might happen to you as you have more advanced software now: my Litnet page was disfigured on most new browsers so that I couldn't write and read other posts anymore. I used sucessively windows edge,firefox, opera, google chrome,bravo and the Russian Yandex. The problem disappeared only after I installed specially for Litnet older and simpler browsers like duck duck and sea monkey.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spikepipsqueak View Post
    We call them street libraries. Yesterday I cleaned an ant's nest out of one. I have gotten some great reads, and also found homes for books that I knew I would never read again.

My problem with the " the book you leave out for the public to find" concept has always been rain. It's whimsical but impractical.
    At the place near my building they used to put out a supermarket car where one could leave books and also take them out. I put some books there but I haven't seen
    the cart of late.

Hey, I just joined the Book Crossing project. Tragically my username, Sancho, was already taken so I wound up going with my dog’s name. What a Springer Spaniel with behavioral issues has to do with book migration, I don’t know, but he was leaning against me when I was trying to think of username, so there you go.

Gotta go print out some labels.
    Uhhhh...

i just posted a message and it didnt send!

does anyone else hate the IA auto suggestions all over the internet these days? i find they get in the way of my tying/spelling.

whats going on now is that every time i switch threads i have to log back in!

sancho, am glad you joined. looking forward to hearing the news of any of your books making headway into the world. maybe i'll join in too...

Blog Entries
    re: "whats going on now is that every time i switch threads i have to log back in!"

... some instability here as well... was completely locked out for a while and sent a note to the powers that be in case I had been banned. I have logged in many times in this last spate of posts trying to get caught up... but it's better than the last few days

Note: Always copy your post before sending... it will save you a headache or two.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Bounty and tailor, glad you are back! I wrote bounty a post on the matter, which disappeared mysteriously

Suggestion:
    If log in problems or disfigured pages happen, try one of this older browsers exclusively on Litnet:

Duck duck
    Sea Monkey
    Midori

What calls my attention: usually foreign users are more affected with these instabilities. This time it seems to affect USA nationals.

***TEST TEST TEST 1-4-3-2-1 TEST TEST***

Well you guys warned me. Dickens is wordy. I kept wondering, since it was serialized, if he wasn’t getting paid by the word. It was fun to read David Copperfield after reading Demon Copperhead. Kingsolver certainly used Dickens as a guide and I used Kingsolver as a guide to Dickens, but the stories are different on many levels. Although at times enjoyed being carried along by Dickens’ prose, more often than not I found myself wishing he was more crisp and to the point, like Kingsolver. Probably a result of reading her first.

Anyway an old engineer joke kept bouncing around my brain:

There’s a 12 ounce glass on the table with 6 ounces of water in it.
    An optimist says the glass is half full.
    A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
    An engineer says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

David Copperfield has twice the number of words it needs.

Speaking of wordy, I’m reading Stephen King’s Holly now. King really likes his character, Holly Gibney, and it shows. I like her too..
    Uhhhh...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast