Thread: Passion.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries

Passion.

PASSION.

As lay in bed that early February morning, the chaos of thoughts he had grown to expect as normal first evolved and then dissipated in his mind. In a way he did not fear the process; what was perhaps an involuntary mental purging of a life substantially spent. He had drunk well from the cup, and now this was the start of a final journey.

Of course, there were: plans, residual aspirations, bucket lists; call them what you will. But there was also every morning the remorseless appreciation that this was the last leg.

What was novel was a current examination of past failures; as up to now he had cocooned himself in the warmth of endeavours achieved, women loved, and a fortune made.

It was now almost ironic, almost perverse; the reality of retirement, of liaisons planned that the body could not achieve, and a focus on dispersing his wealth where he wanted it to go, prior to the inevitable demise.

Hemingway shot his brains out when he realised, he could write no more. A bit drastic, but then the relentless diminishing of a man's faculties is, (if nothing else), demeaning.

It had rained during the night and there was a slight breeze he could discern in the garden. No leaves now, or flowers. Spring yet seemed too far away.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Welcome back, Manichaean!

I hope you allow your protagonist a nice adventure to dispel these somewhat mournful thoughts.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks buddy. Take care.

Blog Entries

Lent Review.

LENT REVIEW.

It was the beginning of Lent yesterday; or to be precise Ash Wednesday in many of the Christian calendars. Custom, (all devised by man), encourages a series of actions for those who participate, namely: fasting, reflection, church attendance and prayer.

The event is normally presented as a recognition, (if that is the correct word?) of the time that Jesus, (post Devil tempted), retreated into the desert to fast for 40 days and nights.

And yet there is no reference to mankind in the Scriptures that, (desert surroundings to one side), we should copy this example. It is purely voluntary. There is lots about the symbolism of ashes and the inevitability of one’s demise, but no exhortation to likewise fast, even if it is just abstaining from such pleasures as alcohol, or other pastimes.

With this in mind, I decided nevertheless to spend daily, a part of Lent reading on related matter. One item that came up as recommended was Ecclesiastes 3:13.

“And also, that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.”

I’m your man. As I’m knocking on eighty this year, I found more sense in this. The early years were the ones to strive and go without.

It is interesting that Ecclesiastes is an Old Testament book of the Bible attributed to Solomon and consisting largely of reflections on the vanity of human life. It was also reported as having been written by him late in life, which reinforces its relevance to me today.

Anyway, I shall continue to read and reflect for the next 39 days but be assured that I will be sustained by some good wine to assist in the journey.