Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: RIP David Crosby

Blog Entries

RIP David Crosby

R.I.P. David Crosby. A good friend of mine used to drive and run "errands" for him; I'll remember his music fondly.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    RIP David Crosby

"Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
    (New Living Translation)
    For everything there is a season,
    A time for every activity under heaven.
    A time to be born and a time to die.
    A time to plant and a time to harvest.
    A time to kill and a time to heal.
    A time to tear down and a time to build up.
    A time to cry and a time to laugh.
    A time to grieve and a time to dance.
    A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones.
    A time to embrace and a time to turn away.
    A time to search and a time to quit searching.
    A time to keep and a time to throw away.
    A time to tear and a time to mend.
    A time to be quiet and a time to speak.
    A time to love and a time to hate.
    A time for war and a time for peace."
    https://www.learnreligions.com/eccle...rything-700374

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVOJla2vYx8&t=229s
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

coincidences, divine coincidences---I sometimes wonder about them. I used to watch a show that I have a hard time tolerating now because of all the hosts' speech tics but every so often i'll still watch a few minutes. they have music to lead out and lead in, to and from commercials. the music is chosen by the host and its fun to see if I can figure out which host the music goes with for the lead in. anyway, one of them yesterday picked wooden ships. which I just now gave a listen to after seeing your posts.

danik youre making me wonder how much, and why, American music gets exported to other countries around the world.
    Last edited by bounty; 01-20-2023 at 09:19 AM.

Man! These old hippies are dropping like flies. Before long there won’t be any left. Gone, like patchouli in the wind.

RIP David Crosby. You sure did live life with verve. And reckless abandon.

I liked your clip, Danik. The old Fillmore East is gone now, or rather it’s a bank, I think. Fillmore West is gone too, although I think somebody bought it and is trying to make it an arts venue again. It was a Honda dealership for years. Winterland is gone. But hey, The Capitol Theater in Port Chester is still kicking. And even though Max Yasgur died years ago, his farm is still a farm.
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    Bounty, USA is a hegemonic country. I can't speak about other countries, but I have the feeling that North Americans feel quite at home here, what with the profusion of English words and burghers, coke and so on. And, of course, music, films and to a lesser extent books are part of it. Maybe Sancho can tell you more about that, he has been here.
    Sancho, I didn't know Crosby, until I looked him up.
    But I'm kind of a nostalgic for a time I didn't know so well after all. There is a kind of magic that is thinning out with each one of them that dies.

Americans
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

csny's music (and neil young's too) is strongly identified with a turbulent time in our recent history danik, the late 60s/early 70s. i bet you would like some of their music.

if you get the chance and are interested, give a listen to: wooden ships, carry on, Woodstock, suite judy blue eyes, ohio, helpless, old man, and heart of gold.

No doubt about it, music is a huge part of the history of the U.S. in the sixties and seventies. And the San Francisco music scene was in many ways central. Counterintuitively, the youth culture of the sixties did a lot to repopularize some of the old bluegrass music from Appalachia. Jerry García (of The Grateful Dead) started out as a banjo player. Which reminds me, Dead and Company are playing their last concert this summer in San Francisco at Giants Stadium. Gotta see about getting me and the old lady some tickets. (Dead and Company include some of the remaining members of the Grateful Dead — Bob Weir, Bill Kreutzmann, and Mickey Hart. They’ve got John Mayer playing Jerry’s parts. And rounding out the band — Oteil Burbridge on bass and Jeff Chimenti on keyboards. Phil Lesh is not in the lineup. He’s got his own project going.) Far out, man.

Ya know, Danik, there’s an outside chance that I get to start going to Brazil again. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve been there. Bounty, if you ever get a chance to go to Brazil, take it. In my limited experience there, I found the people friendly, the food tasty, the music lively, and the weather gorgeous.
    Uhhhh...

I have (had?) an old good friend who back in hs and early college days was a grateful dead fan. ive got a jerry Garcia biography I haven't read.

i have an ex-colleague who married a girl from brazil. he's pretty impressive, speaks like 5-6 languages (including ancient greek, and latin) and picked up Portuguese in no time. they go back every so often to visit her family and enjoy it there.

I think the problem with visiting any foreign country anymore, at least for me, is I don't think you could pay me enough to go through the airport rigmarole or to sit in an airplane.

Blog Entries
    "Ya know, Danik, there’s an outside chance that I get to start going to Brazil again. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve been there. Bounty, if you ever get a chance to go to Brazil, take it. In my limited experience there, I found the people friendly, the food tasty, the music lively, and the weather gorgeous."

Give it a little more time, Sancho, maybe a year or so. Brazil has to recover a bit from 4 years of misgovernment. People got poorer and, in a sense, harder. For instance, if one takes a cab from the airport, and one has to take a cab, one runs the risk of the driver choosing the longest way to make more money out of the ride.

I hear you, Danik. Seems to me in the past ten years, life here in the U. S. of A. has coarsened as well. I’m hoping it’s a normal cycle and we get back to a more cordial society at some point, but it may take some sort of catalyst. Anyway it’s similar to, but the same as, the societal upheaval during David Crosby’s time. His music was pushing for social change and the establishment was pushing against it. One side was saying — don’t trust anyone over the age of 30, and the other side was saying — get a job, get a haircut, hippy. At any rate I think it would be fascinating to go back to Brazil after a 10 year hiatus just to see the changes. It’s not really my choice, though. It’s whatever my job has in store for me.

Jerry García is a unique soul, bounty. And The Grateful Dead was a unique band. There’s a huge body of literature on them. There are people who call themselves Deadologists. As a band they seemed to practice what they preached — The Dead didn’t have near the internal strife and drama that some of their Bay Area contemporaries had, like Jefferson Airplane. I was living in SoCal in the 80s and any given weekend I could take in a Dead concert somewhere, and what amazed about the fans was that there were never any fights at a Dead concert. Just happy hippies getting their groove on. I’ve always maintained a barefoot hippie chick and a jug of sweet red wine at an open air concert was a ga-run-teed good time. If you’re interested in their music, I’d probably start with the album American Beauty or Working Man’s Dead and then move on in to some their live stuff. A lot of their concerts are being released now, and I’d say a good example of the band hitting their groove is - To Terrapin: May 28, 1977 Hartford, CT (Live).
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    csny's music (and neil young's too) is strongly identified with a turbulent time in our recent history danik, the late 60s/early 70s. i bet you would like some of their music.

if you get the chance and are interested, give a listen to: wooden ships, carry on, Woodstock, suite judy blue eyes, ohio, helpless, old man, and heart of gold.
    Thanks for your suggestions, bounty, I'll have a look at those I don't know. Some I do, Joan Baez is my favorite singer and Tommy an iconic opera. So see, times were turbulent here too in the 60/70, but the music of that time is wonderful.

Blog Entries
    We had that song here Sancho: "Don't trust anyone over 30".
    Some things seem to be repeating itself.
    As for a trip to Brazil, you are very welcome anyway. I thought you were coming on a holiday with Mrs. Sancho, but it is good to know that your firm is doing business with Brazil again.

Thanks Danik. I’ll pass it along to La Señora. She got a visa awhile back with the intention of coming along with me to Brazil on a trip, but it didn’t work out, and her visa has long since expired. Maybe someday.

You know, Brazil has been getting a lot of press lately here in North America. Just today I got a very thoughtful article in my news feed from The New Yorker:

After Bolsonaro Can Lula Remake Brazil?
    Following*a prison term, a fraught election, and a near-coup, the third-time President takes charge of a fractured country.

by Jon Lee Anderson

But back to the happy-hippy theme of this thread.
    And here’s to hoping Sancho and his old lady get to go to Brazil sometime soon.

Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong doing the song “Me And My Old Lady”

https://youtu.be/4IxMxZ6E0T4

We’re gonna die of heat frustration out here.
    Uhhhh...

Blog Entries
    Just read this article you are referring to Sancho (I get their newsletter too). Somewhat long but the journalist is well informed and it gives a good overview on recent Brazilian politics. There is not only a lot to be done, there is a lot to be undone too.
    I hope things will improve until you and Mrs. Sancho visit our shores. Brazilians have to get back their lightheartedness and their friendliness.
    From the past:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Baby...id:i8DgM0nLmPU

Lyrics in English:
    https://genius.com/Genius-english-tr...slation-lyrics
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 01-24-2023 at 07:52 AM.

I appreciate the music recommendation Sancho, thank you. I don't have any dead music but I suspect id like it. the older I get the more eclectic my tastes become.

danik, all the csny tunes I suggested were from their early years. they had a song later on I think you would like, southern cross.