Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: From The Sports Desk

Good one. It made me want to buy a chartreuse microbus. Would’ve better if they’d’ve used Long Strange Trip for a backing track.

Etsy’s, Statue of Liberty
    https://youtu.be/cXT8JgdvCHc?si=esKj0SsyUmGPPVLQ
    Oh crap! That’s a really good gift.

State Farm, like a good neighbah
    https://youtu.be/p8ZYgb8Osek?si=i8mcjMEFO49NhYrL
    Okay, that was the sheep

Also I hear there was a football game. The Señora and I were watching it in a sports-bar type restaurant. The whole place would go quiet when the commercials came on, and then everybody’d go back to their meals and conversations when the game was back up on the screen. That is, except for one guy, a Niners fan, who’d startle everyone by having an outburst every so often because something was happening on the field.
    Uhhhh...

yeah I think if you go to a restaurant for the event, its less about paying really close attention to the game.

With a thousand screamin' trucks
    An' eleven long-haired Friends a' Jesus?

I thought the song was perfect, especially given the saying at the end, "you shape its soul" an absolutely wonderful testament to what cars have meant to our culture and to ourselves as individuals.

you might remember this one (non-superbowl) from a few years ago. the long version of one of the best ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ1uqkBeTHY

Yep. Even La Señora comes up with a line from that tune (when I'm driving):

"Ah, breaker, Pigpen, this here's the Duck. You wanna back it off on them go-go girls?"

I do remember that Chevy ad. It's tough for an ad department to go sentimental, but I think they pulled it off.

I just thought Neal Diamond was wrong for that spot because they had all those hippies out hippy-ing. I mean even back in the 60s he was a fav' of the blue-hairs not the long hairs.
    Uhhhh...

song choice for that commercial would be a fun, live formal debate.

its funny you mention "senora"----none of the streaming sites I used all season long were working, and I had to watch the superbowl in Spanish!

Haha! Football might be better in Spanish — Olé! I’ve watched plenty of baseball games on Mexican TV, but never a football game.

That would be a good live debate, in old SNL style. Point - Counterpoint: “Jane, you ignorant slut.”
    Uhhhh...

laughs...I remember dan akroyd saying that.

another good example (maybe a better one) linked to an earlier post:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HEOCL...?feature=share

Jaysus! Thought I wuz ded. Breathe in. Breathe out. Holy crap! Can’t buleeve I got my arms up in time! OMG! I gotta find a new job. Sheesh! Hey! WTF is this thing in my glove? Oh yay-uh. I’m tha man. Mister Cy Young they call me. Prolly win a Golden Glove too.
    Uhhhh...

old school ice hockey just like in the old days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUOGe-mx0l4

they even had a fight!

HUMONGOUS sized crowd. Emile "the Cat" Francis said NYC fans are the greatest hockey fans in the world. He sure knew his stuff.

What a game!!!
    When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent

~ Isaac Asimov

So, bounty, I’m hoping you got something to say about Paris-Nice.
    Uhhhh...

i appreciate your wondering...

I didn't get to see every day of it but I caught quite a bit. tirreno-adriatico was on at the same time and depending on the race layout, I sometimes checked in on Jonas vingegaard.

the weather was miserable for much of the race which is extra cruel considering the ideal is supposed to be the "race to the sun."

it was encouraging to have the couple of young americans (mcnulty and jorgenson) do so well. at the same time though, im skeptical evenepoel, roglic and others were up to form. major kudos to mcnulty for staying in the race leaders jersey on the penultimate stage and ditto for staying on the podium after losing his lead on the final stage. in both cases he got dropped and had to dig deep to preserve what he could.

just prior to these two races, pogacar had an absolutely amazing ride in the strade bianche. between that, and a couple of dominating performances by vingegaard, it looks like these two have picked up where they left off last season, and they are head and shoulders above the rest of the field.

on a side note---paris-nice was tough to watch because one of the announcers, ironically sean Kelly, said "you know" multiple times each time he spoke. apart from that its weird to watch a bike race without phil liggett announcing, its irritating as all get out.

next biggies are milano-torino in a couple of days and milan-san remo this weekend.

mathieu van der poel is set to enter his first road race of the year after having won something like 13 of 14 cyclo-cross races over the winter. so he'll be a great addition to the mix.

Man! It’s time to dust off the bike and true up the wheels. (I’m a fair-weather rider)

Cyclo-cross is a tough sport, eh? Think we should break the news to those guys in Marin County, bombing down the mountain side on old Schwinns, that they didn’t actually invent mountain biking?
    Uhhhh...

well worth the ~ 3 min diversion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNzPsAo1QCg

That was worth it.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems like the big difference between cyclo-cross and mountain biking is cyclo-crossers run more. Those guys are adept at dismounting, hoisting the bike over their shoulder, and running.
    Uhhhh...

am glad you liked it.

the reason theres so much running in cyclocross is its faster than the riding. so youd think youd see lots of it in mtn biking then too, but you hardly ever do. that might be owe-able to differences in the courses, or the cross riders not having the gearing they need or me not paying attention enough.

Do you reckon those guys use egg-beaters? Those are the only pedals I can keep mud free on my mountain bike.
    Uhhhh...