Thread: Banished Words for 2022

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries

Banished Words for 2022

Here's the s-list for https://www.lssu.edu/traditions/banishedwords/"]this year.

Have at it.

Forgive yr auntie's long absence, hospitalized for three months. Meanwhile, the NitLet's answer to Abe Vigoda is still here, for now.

https://www.lssu.edu/traditions/banishedwords/

I hope you are recovered. LitNet has not.

In honor of Lake Superior State University, I nominate "Lake Superior". Having grown up near the shores of Lake Michigan, I'd like to point out that Michigan-Huron is now considered the largest fresh water lake in the world. The notion that it is two separate lakes is belied by the fact that the Michigan and Huron are separated by a narrow strait -- not a river. They are the same lake.

I suggest that from now on the Northwesternmost of the Great Lakes be called "Lake Inferior".

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nice to "see" you well, Auntie and thanks for the list! As a foreigner I canīt comment much on it, but number 3 and 4 and variants are classics in Portuguese too!

At the end of the day = no final da tarde (much loved by journalists)
    That said= posto isto, dito isto ( one wants to show that one writes like famous academics).
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

my super slow internet wont let me get to the webpage but in the meantime, im finding it increasingly difficult to listen to people talking when their speech is littered with "um, uh, ah, I mean, you know, right, and look."

I vote for them all not just being banned, but worthy of some sort of punishment! small electric shocks maybe?

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    "Ah." Good point. "Mmmm". "What, what."

there is a show on tv I used to like watching, but the speech fillers got so bad I had to stop. I actually wrote the broadcasting company trying to get a message to the hosts pointing out the problem, but it seems to have gotten worse.

there is a local dj who's been on the air for many years. I don't think he utters a sentence without throwing "ah" or "uh" in front of multiple words. "in a-local news, the Bonaventure basketball team hosts the a-rhode island rams in a game that could a-decide the a-conference title."

on a more national level, Geraldo rivera is guilty of the same thing.

argh!