Quote Originally Posted by Sancho
... In the Soul of Baseball book, O’Neil at one point goes to the funeral for Ted “Double Duty” Radcliffe and delivers the eulogy. Radcliffe had played in the Negro leagues as a catcher and a pitcher, hence the nickname “Double Duty”. In the eulogy Buck O’Neil tells the story of one of those exhibition games. Cobb was trying to steal a base and Radcliffe, as catcher, threw him out. Things were looking tense until, as Cobb recalled, he saw that Radcliffe had written on his chest protector — “Thou Shalt Not Steal.”

Okay, one more. Catcher In The Wry, by Bob Uecker. It’s kind of a sleeper in the canon of baseball literature, but Christ did I laugh while reading this book. Never a dull moment in the dugout with Uke, eh?

By the way, bounty, I also laughed out loud at the Abbot and Costello pic.

"Double Duty" Radcliffe ~ I have two autographs of him. Met him twice (once in Chicago's Comiskey Park & another time in St Paul's MLK Center) and what a genuine nice guy he was!

Bob Uecker ~ I used to have his baseball card. He sure made baseball radio broadcasts into much fun.

Abbott & Costello ~ Who's on first? One of my all time fave comedy skits.