Thread: What Piece of Literary Criticism Blew You Away???

What Piece of Literary Criticism Blew You Away???

What piece of literary criticism made you understand a work of literature much better and in a new way??? Look, I haven't read tons of literary essays or criticism but I did major in literature in college and so I have some background in the field of literary criticism and I have looked at a lot of titles of critical essays and skimmed those that caught my attention. I have discarded many as boring crap. For my own part, the literary essay that has blown me away the most is by the Shakespearean scholar Professor Cantor of the University of Virginia. He wrote a piece entitled "The Invisible Man and the Invisible Hand: H.G. Wells Critique of Capitalism". I found it in the book called H.G. Wells (Bloom's Modern Critical Views) . I have never seen any essay of literary criticism as fascinating as that. I read the Invisible Man many years ago and I thought I understood it, but after reading Professor Cantor's essay I was floored by his insights. What an astonishing work that piece of literary criticism is!!!! If you could point me in the right direction I would like to learn about any great enlightening works of literary criticism you know about.
    There has never been a single, great revolution in history without civil war. --- Vladimir Lenin

There are decades when nothing happens and then there are weeks when decades happen. --- Vladimir Lenin

S/Z by Roland Barthes; La poésie comme expérience by Philippe Lacoue-Labarthe, Le dernier à parler by Maurice Blanchot, De l'Être à l'Autre by Levinas, Economy of the Unlost by Anne Carson, Huts by J.H. Prynne.
    Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.

Thank you, sir.
    There has never been a single, great revolution in history without civil war. --- Vladimir Lenin

There are decades when nothing happens and then there are weeks when decades happen. --- Vladimir Lenin

Harold Bloom's 'The Western Canon'. I love everything by Bloom, especially his great book on Shakespeare, but 'The Western Canon' is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by WICKES View Post
    Harold Bloom's 'The Western Canon'. I love everything by Bloom, especially his great book on Shakespeare, but 'The Western Canon' is my favorite.
    That is obvious, surely.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Mimesis: the representation of reality in Western literature by Erich Auerbach.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I should say not a piece of criticism, but a critic. The best literature critic I know was Antonio Candido de Mello e Souza. He was also very interested in furthering and integrating Latin American criticism. There are several articles by him in Spanish. I didn´t find any of them on the net, But they should be found at Centro Angel Rama.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant%C3%B3nio_C%C3%A2ndido

https://sites.usp.br/portalatinoamer...andido-antonio
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row