Thread: Can one ignore an author’s character and what they write?

Can one ignore an author’s character and what they write?

By asking, "Can one ignore an author’s character and what they write?" I mean that I think that I would find it difficult to read a book by a mass murderer or anyone I dislike for many different reasons. I ask this question because I think that subject must have been discussed somewhere or am I wrong?

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It happens very often, that on reads a book, without knowing anything about the author. If I like a book very much and think the book has autobiographical content, I have a look at the author´s Wikipedia page.
    On the other hand it sometimes happens that I don´t read a book, because I don´t agree with the author´s ideas.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Why am I banned?

Can you post a question if you are "banned"? Now that's a post for the philosophistry page! There are a lot of writers who I have never read and have no intention of doing so based on their public persona. There are a lot of wrters who I have read and are so irritating that once was enough. I have chucked books in the bin once read. I have enjoyed a small number of writers despite sharing few or any of their opinions. As for mass murders. That's pretty much a full time job.