Thread: Breaking News. Shakespeare Dead.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries

Breaking News. Shakespeare Dead.

William Shakespeare RIP.

Reports and reaction came in yesterday from a TV outlet in Argentina with regard to the demise of William Shakespeare.

Canal 26 presenter Noelia Novillo announced that "one of the most important writers in the English language - for me the master" had died.

She added that "We've got news that has stunned all of us given the greatness of this man. We're talking about William Shakespeare and his death. We'll let you know how and why it happened."

It was in fact the UK William Shakespeare, a former Rolls Royce worker and parish councillor, who received his first virus jab in December thus becoming the first man, and the second person, to receive the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

He died on Thursday from an unrelated illness, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust said.

The Bard died in 1616, which either means that some in Argentina are four centuries behind the times on breaking news, or in fact one man in his time does play many parts and all the world’s a stage.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh, my! I remember the guy. He had a brief moment of fame in December, because he was the second person in the world vaccinated against Covid and, of course, because of his name! Sorry to hear that he already died.

As for Argentina, forgive them their slight date mistake. We live strange post modern times, when nothing holds and everyone can turn into everyone. His parents wanted to honor the bard anyway.

Near a building where I lived before moving to the present one, there used to be a parking place. One of the employees was called Shelley (with the accent on the second syllable). No idea where he got his name. I don´t think his parents have heard about the English poet or his wife.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Well, mebbe, just mebbe that Argentinian report had some degree of accuracy to it. After all, historians have been telling us for a great many years that Shakey was an Englishman when some of us know that he was an American. In fact, some Americans argue so strongly about this that they started the infamous Astor Place riots in 1849:

https://www.folger.edu/blogs/shakesp...beth-new-york/

If anyone dares to deny the truth about Shakey, we riot:

Don't say we didn't give you "warning":

A long while ago I read a book on the subject and such sentiments may have gone way back to the 1760s in old New Amsterdam (now called New York). People just got it into their heads that this was the truth and Heaven help anyone who argued against it. NYC street dandies (some called Bowery Boys, others Dead Rabbits, Gophers, Five Pointers, etc) would dress up [this despite the fact that many were from very poor backgrounds and were largely uneducated], memorize lines from Shakey's plays, and put on airs as if they were sophisticates. This was their way of building up their self esteem.

One day some theater director decided to disregard all that and made the stupid mistake of hiring an English actor to portray MacBeth. BIG mistake! Full scale riot broke out, many died or were injured, extensive property damage took place.

All the more reason to brush up your Shakespeare:

When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent

~ Isaac Asimov

Shakespeare Wallah ~ Merchant-Ivory movie

Shakey's influence can be seen everywhere.
    When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent

~ Isaac Asimov