Thread: The Trial for Murder: Why are the spooky guys in Piccadilly "going from west to east"

The Trial for Murder: Why are the spooky guys in Piccadilly "going from west to east"

The Trial for Murder: Why are the spooky guys in Piccadilly "going from west to east"?
    I am expecting some street names, for instance going from St. James's Street to XYZ. So I guess "going from west to east" has a special meaning.
    What is it?

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    British Dickenīs fans should be more able to anwer this. But in which of his books was this trial mentioned?
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Hi Danik,
    thanks for your answer.
    "The Trial for Murder" is an excellent short story which I have in The Selected Illustrated Works of Charles Dickens. The Christmas Books, Ghost Stories & Other Tales. London: Wordsworth Library Collection, 2010.

Blog Entries
    Hi, gavagai and thanks

I read most of Dickens' works but I didnīt know this story. Itīs very good indeed, here is the link, if anyone else wants to read it.
    http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-st...TriaMurd.shtml

But I donīt know if there is any meaning in the ghosts going from west to east. I suppose it depends of what districts lie in their direction. The important thing seems to be their going through crowded Piccadilly without being noticed.

Tried to post this answer twice yesterday but didnīt succeed.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Quote Originally Posted by gavagai View Post
    The Trial for Murder: Why are the spooky guys in Piccadilly "going from west to east"?
    I am expecting some street names, for instance going from St. James's Street to XYZ. So I guess "going from west to east" has a special meaning.
    What is it?
    My guess is that they are moving in the opposite direction of the sun. So, Dickens is using this to emphasise their spookiness.

Blog Entries
    Maybe, sandy. I canīt see a difference in the direction they take. I think the spookiness is in their looks and in the way they move aroun being noticed only by the narrator.

This story made me think, what those trials would be like if every victim of murder took care that justice would be done.