Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Kobe Bryant -- One Year Later

Kobe Bryant -- One Year Later

On the anniversary of Kobe Bryant's death, one ESPN announcer solemnly intoned, “We all remember where we were when we heard about Kobe's tragic death...” Huh? No we don't. America's favorite rapist has been lionized in a death that occurred when he was taking his daughter to a basketball game in a helicopter. Hadn't he ever heard of global warming?

Yes, rape is worse than commuting by helicopter. Both demonstrate a sense of entitlement, though. Self-centered entitlement and the urge to dominate others sometimes accompanies athletic excellence (Michael Jordan is another example). Kobe was a bully, as are all rapists. https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sp...vlToMnlUJhLalo

I'm not sure if the urge to dominate enhances athletic performance, or is exacerbated by it. Great athletes grow accustomed to domination; it seems natural to them.

Kobe's Oscar-winning animated short (“Basketball Love”) was an exercise in entitled egomania. Backed by a team of seasoned pros (the animation is good,and the music is by none other than John Williams) it seems more like a paeon to self-love than to basketball.
    The saccharine Bryant narration is coupled with Williams' soaring, maudlin score to make shooting hoop seem as heroic as destroying a Death Star. That this overwrought fluff won an Academy Award shows how L.A. Celebrity Culture worships itself, and the worship of Saint Kobe upon his death proves my point. (All deaths are tragic, of course, even Kobe's.)

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    I do not really like basketball much but flying in foggy weather was an awful idea. Pilot should have been wiser. I pay little attention to the culture that has crept out of California, with the exception of skateboarding.
    Last edited by tonywalt; 01-31-2021 at 11:40 PM.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    Yea, a great bouncer of balls