Thread: Banished Words for 2021

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries

Banished Words for 2021

The long national nightmare is over! (No, we still have about 19 days to wait for that one to end, God willing!) I mean the wait for the Annual List of Banished Words. Here's the 2021 Version.

One new feature of the web page: a definition of each of the banished words, along with reason for its inclusion.

Fellow NitLetters may remember my aversion to the use of "reference" as a verb. It appears in LSSU's description of "pivot," but I agree with the critique itself. (Yesterday a political reporter had a little fun with the words "pivot" and "divot," concerning the Golfer-in-Chief.)

This year I've heard some words which have moved from the realm of nouns to verbs:

"Caveat," as in "I'll caveat that statement with a word of advice." Granted: the ancient Latin word stems from a two-word hortatory expression, "Caveat emptor." But the literal translation of "Let the. . ." sounds peculiar when used as a straight-up verb in English.

"Distance" (as in "social distancing" in the LSSU list) similarly contains a noun as part of a verb phrase, often as a split infinitive: "to social(ly) distance." What strikes me funny is that the phrase "social distant" once described a person who freely avoids parties and conviviality — a "cold fish", or as in the cliché about an alleged perpetrator, "he kept to himself."

The word "transition" has been a noun, at least as long as yours fooly can remember (and that's a long, long time.) A verb usually precedes the word; for instance, "Help me make a smooth transition into geezerhood." But this past year, I've been hearing "transition" as a stand-alone verb.

"Transition" as a verb has popped up in several statements about a certain event to occur on January 20 in the USA (or at least scheduled as such.) But more likely you'll hear the word in terms of education: "Middle schools and high schools will transition into a virtual learning environment."

I'd love to see members of NitLet "community" tell us which words and phrases from 2020 (or any year) ought to be banished. (Note that I didn't say "need to be" as a euphemism for "should" or "must.")

Post 'em right on this thread.

Oh, and Happy New Year! (Whatever happens, it can't be any worse than 2020. Can it?)

https://www.lssu.edu/traditions/banishedwords/#toggle-id-1
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 12-31-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    The seemingly obligatory "Thank you for having me," by TV guests on CNN, as opposed to "Thank you for inviting me."

Happy New Year Aunty.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    As an non native it would be difficult for me to contribute to this list, but two words caught my eyes:

Sus- It is by coincidence, the shortage of the name of the Brazilian national health system, Sistema Único de Saúde.

Karen-How was poor Karen drawn into this?

Personally I also would like to be able to banish the expression "new normal". I long for the normal being just again normal.

And the not so small word efficacy, as the possibility of mass vaccination in my country hinges around it.

A healthy and happy 2021 to all of you!
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 01-01-2021 at 12:24 PM.
    #Stay home as much as you can and stay well

Blog Entries
    I agree with banning the "Thank you for having me" line, Manichaean. And Danik, "the new normal" was one of the expressions I was going to add today. Thank you both for weighing in.

Now, "Wait for it. . .wait for it." (How irritating is that expression? Nothing like drawing attention to a surprise that should be self-evident.
    It's similar to what E. B. White wrote that using more than one exclamation point: "It's like laughing at one's own jokes." (No offense, Conan.)

And there's still some national misunderstanding of the apostrophe. I saw this in an ad: "Our's is cheaper!!" (With two exclamation points.)

Also, how about the term "reimagine"? It's worse than "rethink."

Keep posting these, NitLetters. It's a mild way of indulging in the Great American Pastime: righteous indignation.
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 01-02-2021 at 05:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Weather reports: "Peaks of sun" when they mean "peeks."

More and more I'm seeing the word "roll" confused with the noun "role." It popped up just a few minutes ago, on msn.com of all places. Those editors should know better!
    (Maybe that's how they "role.")

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Hi, Auntie!

Had a peek at the word "peek" but am still a bit confused.
    Here is what I found: https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/...ak-peek-pique/
    #Stay home as much as you can and stay well

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Wait until you throw in the different pronunciations!

My favourite USA / UK ones are the words, "route, root & rout."