Thread: Ten Years Later

James Barry

Ten Years Later

I read the entire Musketeers series about two years ago. The first book, I loved, and the second was also very entertaining. But when I read Ten Years Later, I was disappointed. <br> I found the reason I was reading it was for the characters of d'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos and Aramis, but unfortunately these charcters were on the sideline for most of the story and I don't even think they ever shared a scene together. <br> I also felt a bit cheated by all the walk-on characters who were the sons of walk-on characters from previous novels. <br> Despite this, it was enjoyable on its own (that is, when I forgot about the musketeers) and the sequence with d'Artagnan and Athos in England and Holland was one of the most memorable of all the musketeers adventures. <br> All I can say is that Ten Years Later is a good novel, but it suffers a bit from 'sequel syndrome'. Still, I recommend anyone who hasn't read it to have a look.<br><br>James

Drink up me heaties yo ho
    I think you are right
    but I still think is very good, but the 4 frends are never rilly together.

Writer-In-Training
    That might have something to do with the fact that ultimately Ten Years Later was split into three separate novels of their own. Most references to the d'Artagnan Romances list The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, and The Vicomte de Bragelonne which leaves out the second two portions of the split Ten Years Later, including Man in the Iron Mask.

Just food for thought.