Thread: The Cookery Book Aberration.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries

The Cookery Book Aberration.

The Cookery Book Aberration.

I've recently developed a deviant preference for reading cookery books instead of the recommended classics of English Literature. This is perhaps a consequence of spending too much time on my own under covid lockdown.

But why cookery? Is it a form of escape from the reality of current existence? Surely 14th century monks of the more penitent orders, did not crave for their epoch equivalents of Hells Kitchen or Nigeria Lawson seductively licking a spoon? Perhaps they did though.

Anyway, I've tried conforming by extracting from my bookshelves old favourites by Evelyn Waugh, Le Carre and Graham Greene and have been partially successful in keeping on the straight and narrow. But then I find myself gravitating to; the more alcohol induced contributions of Keith Floyd, matronly dishes by Delia, and the anarchic, yet stimulating ramblings of Jamie Oliver.

I even found myself engrossed the other day on a recipe of stuffed reindeer heart from Lapland. But my aspirations regards acquiring the main ingredient in England, quickly brought me to earth.

Dear Lit Netters, is there an antidote?

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lol. It must be very entertaining

To make you and possible other readers still a bit more deviant, here are some Brazilian recipes.
    https://www.iheartbrazil.com/traditi...razilian-food/

And, if you donīt know that one already:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/caipirinha-recipe-759290

(The suggested English pronunciation is a bit perplexing, specially the purring sound)
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Haha. Your Brazilian food link is the ultimate deviance in my current addiction. Looks fascinating.

With the word "spruce" just cut the purring sound short. That's how the British do it.

Cooking books often have a chapter dealing with cocktails and long drinks... I don't know why, but I often find those the best chapters.
    "Some things in life need solitude to thrive. Will only flourish in seclusion and loneliness, without affection hushing and lulling them to sleep.
    The pursuit of dreams is such a thing."

Tom Fitch - Intersection Diaries